Old February 22nd 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Nathan Bates

Default Borg Johnson

Just received a new Borg Johnson HS-912R radio this afteroon that I won
off ebay last week ($9.95 Delivered). Havent got to play with it much
yet but Radio Netherlands booms in loud! Great gobs of Spanish speaking
stations, a great many Asian stations, Cuba of course, and what sounded
like some German and French speakers. VOA is there, naturally. Seems
like it does good for a cheap radio, especially considering Im on the
bottom floor of a 2 story apartment complex of 8 big brick buildings. I
can barely pick up TV in here with rabbit ears from Nashville (TN) 50
miles away. So, as a casual listener, Im quite happy with it. We like to
sit outside at night in warm weather, and I think it will do even better
then. Seems this will be a good little knock around radio to take
camping, etc.. Runs on 2 D cells, so batteries will last practically
forever, I imagine.
Im looking to get a Kaito 1103, but had to delay that a bit as I just
bought a (used) boat and have to get that all set up. Beyond that, Im
looking at the Emerson MBR-1 as well.
Just wondering if anyone else in here has tried these little Borg
Johnson radios?
Thanks,
Nathan

Old February 23rd 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Buzzygirl

"Nathan Bates" wrote in message
snip

Just wondering if anyone else in here has tried these little Borg
Johnson radios?

Never even hoid of 'em. But now that I have, I'll go do a bit of searching.
Glad you got something that works well on the cheap!

Jackie

Old February 23rd 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
N9NEO

Good find. I am looking for a cheeper portable that I can keep for a
while and then give to my niece. I just gave her a Hallicrafters table
top, but I don't think her papa will put up an antenna for her.

We are the Borg-Johnson. You will be assimilated. Resistance is
futile.

Old February 23rd 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Nathan Bates

Well, I read up on the other el-cheapo radios like the Bell & Howell,
Walgreens Lifelong, etc., and the Borg-Johnson seemed like the best deal
for the money.
It has the extended FM range (64Mhz-108Mhz), MW (526Khz-1606Khz), lower
TV channels, and SW broken up into 9 bands from 4.70Mhz to 21.95Mhz. Not
full continuous coverage, but not bad. Most of what Im getting inside
the apartment is in the 4.70Mhz to 10Mhz range. Above that seems pretty
quiet, and Im assuming thats because Im in among all these big brick
buildings. It doesnt have an external antenna jack, so I plan to get a
clip on wire to try outside (well, inside too) when the weather warms
up.
I think its a good radio for someone just getting started. Or to just
knock around with. Its solid, heavily built. Over a half pound without
batteries, like a brick with the 2 D cells installed. Tunes pretty
smoothly. Sound quality is fairly good. They seem to be on ebay
regularly for about $10 plus $5 or so shipping. Dug around on there and
got mine a little cheaper. For the price, Id say it would be hard to
beat.
Was just waiting on the Star Trek Borg reference, knew it was coming )
Regards,
Nathan

Old December 11th 06, 11:27 PM
Junior Member

Location: 2520 Breckenridge Road, Enid, Oklahoma
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9NEO
Good find. I am looking for a cheeper portable that I can keep for a
while and then give to my niece. I just gave her a Hallicrafters table
top, but I don't think her papa will put up an antenna for her.

We are the Borg-Johnson. You will be assimilated. Resistance is
futile.
What does this quote mean? lawsuit on a Borg-Johnson $5.00 pocket radio: http://www.usps.com/judicial/1958deci/1-10.htm

I am considering the following: World Wide Radio - Borg Johnson 25,000mi
A nationally advertised $79.95 only $14.95 + $6.00 Std. Shipping or $7.00 Rush Shipping

Large LCD - screen shows radio frequency
Sliding multi-band selector - DX and local modes
Built-in L.C. circuit and 10-stage selector switch
520 KiloHz to 1710 KiloHz range LC
560 MegaHz to 108 MegaHz
Built-in Ultra-Power speaker system
Fine-tune amp control system
Ear-phone jack for headphones
Telescopic, rotating antenna
User guide and stations listings included free
Clock with alarm

www.usasd.com
Click on Buy Binoculars and this radio is an alternative or additional choice.

I am trying to find out more about it by researching the internet... Does it pick up AM/FM, etc?

Hope this is a help to you...

Clyde
Binoculars Yes, Radio ?
Humble Servant Leader ministering to the needs of others

Old December 11th 06, 11:32 PM
Junior Member

Location: 2520 Breckenridge Road, Enid, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Sanford
What does this quote mean? lawsuit on a Borg-Johnson $5.00 pocket radio: http://www.usps.com/judicial/1958deci/1-10.htm
I am considering the following: World Wide Radio - Borg Johnson 25,000mi
A nationally advertised $79.95 only $14.95 + $6.00 Std. Shipping or $7.00 Rush Shipping
Large LCD - screen shows radio frequency
Sliding multi-band selector - DX and local modes
Built-in L.C. circuit and 10-stage selector switch
520 KiloHz to 1710 KiloHz range LC
560 MegaHz to 108 MegaHz
Built-in Ultra-Power speaker system
Fine-tune amp control system
Ear-phone jack for headphones
Telescopic, rotating antenna
User guide and stations listings included free
Clock with alarm [/quote]

www.usasd.com
Click on Buy Binoculars and you will see this radio is an alternative or additional choice.

I am trying to find out more about it by researching the internet... Does it pick up AM/FM, etc?

Hope this is a help to you...

Clyde
Will I order Binoculars? Yes, Will I also order additional Radio? Unknown? Need additonal information!
Humble Servant Leader ministering to the needs of others
[/quote]