Old February 28th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Jim Leder

Default Kenwood TM-G707A cable

Sorry, I later realized it is a 6 pin DIN, not 8. Never thought about using
an old mouse cable, great suggestion. But the big question remains: Does
anyone know if the ICOM/Yaesu programming cable is compatible (I suspect it
is). And after looking at the link Ed sent, it appears that pins 1 and 2 are
the pins to use (data and ground). The ICOM/Yaesu cables do have level
converters built into the DB9 head. I'm sure the Kenwood requires the same
sort of interface.

Jim

"Robert Kubichek" wrote in message
An old mouse cable is great for this, it's also great for packet adapters
as well!

Bob N9LVU

Ed wrote:
"Jim Leder" wrote in
:
I recently bought a new Kenwood TM-G707A dual band radio for the car,
and found the free Kenwood memory program. I already have the Yaesu
ADMS software and cable for my old FT-50R and I also have the ICOM
programming cable for my IC-F420 440 radio. I really don't want to buy
another cable if one of these cables will work with the Kenwood. So,
two questions: 1) Will either of these cables work with the Kenwood
(is the electronics in the DB-9 compatible)?
2) If so, the Kenwood uses an 8 pin DIN connector. Both the Yaesu and
the Icom only use 2 wires, one for data and the other for ground with
appropriate adapters. I assume the Kenwood is the same. If either of
these cables will work, does anyone know the pinout on the DIN
connector so that I can fashion an adapter? Any info on the net that
addresses this? I found lots of info on ICOM/Yaesu, but none regarding
ICOM/YAESU to Kenwood.
Thanks...

An initial check of my info did not show any computer programming
info for the Kenwood TM-G707A cable, but I did find pinout info for use
of that jack. (you can find that at:
http://www.commtechreview.net/amaradio/g707arev.htm BTW, you mentioned
an 8 pin din.... the TM-G707A uses a 6 pin mini din for both programming
and packet.

If you can find the data info you seek, all you will need is a 6 pin
mini din and some cable..... or you can buy the mini-din and cable assy
for about $16.00. Its the Kenwood PG-5A. I use the Kenwood PG-4S
program cable, which is the complete unit for computer interface
programming... its about $32.00.

Ed K7AAT