Old February 27th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Jim Leder

Default Kenwood TM-G707A cable

I recently bought a new Kenwood TM-G707A dual band radio for the car, and
found the free Kenwood memory program. I already have the Yaesu ADMS
software and cable for my old FT-50R and I also have the ICOM programming
cable for my IC-F420 440 radio. I really don't want to buy another cable if
one of these cables will work with the Kenwood. So, two questions:
1) Will either of these cables work with the Kenwood (is the electronics in
the DB-9 compatible)?
2) If so, the Kenwood uses an 8 pin DIN connector. Both the Yaesu and the
Icom only use 2 wires, one for data and the other for ground with
appropriate adapters. I assume the Kenwood is the same. If either of these
cables will work, does anyone know the pinout on the DIN connector so that I
can fashion an adapter? Any info on the net that addresses this? I found
lots of info on ICOM/Yaesu, but none regarding ICOM/YAESU to Kenwood.

Thanks...

Old February 27th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed

"Jim Leder" wrote in
:

[...]

An initial check of my info did not show any computer programming
info for the Kenwood TM-G707A cable, but I did find pinout info for use
of that jack. (you can find that at:

http://www.commtechreview.net/amaradio/g707arev.htm

BTW, you mentioned an 8 pin din.... the TM-G707A uses a 6 pin mini
din for both programming and packet.

If you can find the data info you seek, all you will need is a 6 pin
mini din and some cable..... or you can buy the mini-din and cable assy
for about $16.00. Its the Kenwood PG-5A. I use the Kenwood PG-4S
program cable, which is the complete unit for computer interface
programming... its about $32.00.

Ed K7AAT
Old February 28th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Robert Kubichek

An old mouse cable is great for this, it's also great for packet adapters as well!

Bob N9LVU

Ed wrote:
"Jim Leder" wrote in
:

Old February 28th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Jim Leder

Sorry, I later realized it is a 6 pin DIN, not 8. Never thought about using
an old mouse cable, great suggestion. But the big question remains: Does
anyone know if the ICOM/Yaesu programming cable is compatible (I suspect it
is). And after looking at the link Ed sent, it appears that pins 1 and 2 are
the pins to use (data and ground). The ICOM/Yaesu cables do have level
converters built into the DB9 head. I'm sure the Kenwood requires the same
sort of interface.

Jim

"Robert Kubichek" wrote in message
An old mouse cable is great for this, it's also great for packet adapters
as well!

Bob N9LVU

Ed wrote:
"Jim Leder" wrote in
:

Old February 28th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dave Platt

Sorry, I later realized it is a 6 pin DIN, not 8. Never thought about using
an old mouse cable, great suggestion. But the big question remains: Does
anyone know if the ICOM/Yaesu programming cable is compatible (I suspect it
is). And after looking at the link Ed sent, it appears that pins 1 and 2 are
the pins to use (data and ground). The ICOM/Yaesu cables do have level
converters built into the DB9 head. I'm sure the Kenwood requires the same
sort of interface.

Most of the radios I've looked at use the same electrical-signalling
protocol on their data line - basically, pseudo-TTL or CMOS, just as
if you were coming right out a UART chip. 5 volt, open-collector /
open-drain drivers with a pullup resistor on one side or the other (or
both), with the signalling sense being inverted from that of RS-232.

I've successfully used a Yaesu programming interface intended for the
VX-5 to program an Icom IC-W32A, although I don't remember whether I
needed a custom jumper/adapter to go from the Yaesu's miniplug to the
Icom's minijack.

I believe I've seen _some_ radios which use a three-wire (ground,
send-data, receive-data) serial connection, using TTL/CMOS voltages.
None of the common bidirectional-data-line serial adapters will work
with these, without some extra waving-of-dead-chickens.

My recollection, though, is that the TM-G707A is not one of these. It
uses a single data line, and should be electrically compatible with
the RS-232-to-5-volt-inverted adapters used by Icom and Yaesu HTs.

The most you _may_ need to do, is to pull one extra pin on the
TM-G707A interface to ground or +5 to indicate that you're plugged in
a programming adapter. I know that this sort of trick is needed in
order to invoke the factory-settings/alignment mode, and I have a
vague recollection that it may be needed in order to enable the radio
to distinguish between a memory-programming adapter and an external
TNC... but I could be wrong about that.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old February 28th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed

I WAS going to try to diagram my Kenwood PG-4S programming
cable/circuit,,,, but after I opened up the 26pin connector, I gave up.
The tiny PC board inside had more active components on it than I had
realized.... all tiny surface mount. A small 5V regulator IC, possibly
another IC (only had 5 pins instead of 8), and 4 or 5 transistors, a
diode or two, and a few resistors/caps.

Sorry guys, but I don't have the time at present..

Ed