Old May 24th 04, 02:35 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

A Windom will let you work a bunch of bands with no tuner.....

http://kh2d.net/windom.cfm

Interesting, the idea of adding the second one on the same feed for 15.
Guess I ought to try it.

My dimensions are *slightly* different - 44' on one side, 88' on the
other. When putting it up, I was told you needed 300-ohm TV twinlead
between the feedpoint and the balun. However, the guy describing the
antenna said he didn't know *how much* twinlead you needed, and didn't
think it mattered.

So I tried *zero*. Worked great.

Except that when the antenna is supported from the ends (I have a large
open field) that balun becomes a lot of weight, it's a mechanical
problem. The rope on the west end broke a few weeks ago, right now the
feedpoint is only about ten feet up... I'll probably rebuild with the
balun fastened to a 4x4 post and 30' or so of twinlead, strictly for
mechanical reasons.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66