Old May 23rd 04, 06:47 AM
Dan

Default Antenna Setup

I just got an Icom 726 and am trying to decide on an antenna. Is
there any antenna that will allow me to work all of the bands without
the use of a tuner? I do not need perfect SWR, but I don't want to
shorten the life of my 726. I was looking at dipoles on ebay but they
all say they need a matching tuner.

Thanks,
Dan
Old May 23rd 04, 01:01 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Dan wrote:
I just got an Icom 726 and am trying to decide on an antenna. Is
there any antenna that will allow me to work all of the bands without
the use of a tuner? I do not need perfect SWR, but I don't want to
shorten the life of my 726. I was looking at dipoles on ebay but they
all say they need a matching tuner.

Depends on how much you want to spendgrin.

I have a tribander Yagi with a 40-meter rotatable dipole add-on kit and
separate wire dipoles for 80 and 160 meters; they work great, no tuner
required. However, the whole thing is pretty expensive and may not be
"spouse-practical" in many cases. (being single I don't worry about
such things!)

I do also have a Windom. It's a dipole, with 88 feet of wire on one
side, 44 feet on the other, and a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint. (the
classic Windom design has some 300-ohm TV flat leadin between the
feedpoint and the balun. There are mechanical advantages to doing it
that way, but electrically it works fine either way.) This antenna
works well on most bands - it does require a tuner on one band (15m if I
recall properly) but if your rig has an automatic tuner built-in it'll do.

Multiband verticals are generally easy to erect and work on all bands.
You may require a system of ground radials.

One can attach several dipoles to a common feedpoint; only the dipole
that's cut for the current band will be active.

Really if you have the space for a tuner it's probably most
cost-effective to put up the longest dipole you have space for and use
450-ohm ladder line and a tuner.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old May 24th 04, 01:03 AM
Gary

Don't know your living arrangements or finances, but there are several
multiband verticals that come to mind that would permit you to operate
several bands. MFJ, Gap, Butternut, and Cushcraft come to mind. Others
will have I hit the send button.

Old May 24th 04, 02:35 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

A Windom will let you work a bunch of bands with no tuner.....

http://kh2d.net/windom.cfm

Interesting, the idea of adding the second one on the same feed for 15.
Guess I ought to try it.

My dimensions are *slightly* different - 44' on one side, 88' on the
other. When putting it up, I was told you needed 300-ohm TV twinlead
between the feedpoint and the balun. However, the guy describing the
antenna said he didn't know *how much* twinlead you needed, and didn't
think it mattered.

So I tried *zero*. Worked great.

Except that when the antenna is supported from the ends (I have a large
open field) that balun becomes a lot of weight, it's a mechanical
problem. The rope on the west end broke a few weeks ago, right now the
feedpoint is only about ten feet up... I'll probably rebuild with the
balun fastened to a 4x4 post and 30' or so of twinlead, strictly for
mechanical reasons.