Old April 20th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Phil Wheeler

Default Yaesu FT-897 Mobile With Subaru Outback?

TimBob wrote:
I have an 2005 Outback, I have a Yaesu FT-90 dual band mobile in it.
It only puts out 50 watts on 2 meters but I have not had any RFI
issue's with it. I used a thru the glass antenna, which doesnt help
you any. One problem with most of these newer vehicles is space, not
alot of continuous smooth surfaces in them. But we love the vehicle!
Best Regards
Tim N7XAU

I've had no problems with thru-the-glass antennas, other than not the
best signals (and losing one in a rainstorm at high speed in Montana a
few years back!).

Generally VHF/UHF antennas are pretty easy to mount. Its the HF antennas
that are a bear, especially with newer vehicles. My CR-V, with its
swing-out rear door (vs. lift gate) is a bear. I had antenna mounts on
the rear door (not a great solution), but was rear-ended recently and
now have a new door, sans antennas while I noodle on other solutions.
Yakima rack on top is inviting (but the antennas would need folded over
to get into garages (mine and parking).

73, Phil w7ox