Old April 19th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Lee Smith

Default Yaesu FT-897 Mobile With Subaru Outback?

Hi Folks:

Need your input on this. I've almost convinced myself to buy a new Subaru
Outback and want to use my FT-897 in it. As of yet, I have not made a
choice of antenna system and a search on the net has come up with very
little info.

Are you aware of any RFI issues with this car? Do you have any installation
tips, or websites with suggestions as to best mobile installation practices?

As this is my first new car ever, the work will be done by professional 2
way radio installers, as I want this to look very good and my work generally
looks like it was done with stone-age man's tools .. LOL

Thanks for taking the time help out.

73 de
Lee
VE4ANC

Old April 20th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Phil Wheeler

Lee Smith wrote:
Hi Folks:

Need your input on this. I've almost convinced myself to buy a new Subaru
Outback and want to use my FT-897 in it. As of yet, I have not made a
choice of antenna system and a search on the net has come up with very
little info.

That will be the tricky part, I think. Have not yet solved the problem
with my 2003 CR-V .. but I'm still researching the issue (radio was
relatively easy .. an FT-857). So far antenna solutions have been
temporary in nature.

Are you aware of any RFI issues with this car? Do you have any installation
tips, or websites with suggestions as to best mobile installation practices?

This is one of the best sites I've found recently re mobile installations:

http://www.k0bg.com/indexright.html

73, Phil
Old April 20th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Phil Wheeler

Phil Wheeler wrote:
Lee Smith wrote:

Hi Folks:

Need your input on this. I've almost convinced myself to buy a new
Subaru
Outback and want to use my FT-897 in it. As of yet, I have not made a
choice of antenna system and a search on the net has come up with very
little info.

That will be the tricky part, I think. Have not yet solved the problem
with my 2003 CR-V .. but I'm still researching the issue (radio was
relatively easy .. an FT-857). So far antenna solutions have been
temporary in nature.

Are you aware of any RFI issues with this car? Do you have any
installation
tips, or websites with suggestions as to best mobile installation
practices?

This is one of the best sites I've found recently re mobile installations:

Correction .. he

http://www.k0bg.com/

73, Phil
Old April 20th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Lee Smith

Phil:

Thanks for the link. I've had a very quick look at it and seems like a
worthwhile read.

I'll spend a few more minutes on the site and see what I learn about the
world of mobile operations.

Regards,
Lee

Old April 20th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Phil Wheeler

TimBob wrote:
I have an 2005 Outback, I have a Yaesu FT-90 dual band mobile in it.
It only puts out 50 watts on 2 meters but I have not had any RFI
issue's with it. I used a thru the glass antenna, which doesnt help
you any. One problem with most of these newer vehicles is space, not
alot of continuous smooth surfaces in them. But we love the vehicle!
Best Regards
Tim N7XAU

I've had no problems with thru-the-glass antennas, other than not the
best signals (and losing one in a rainstorm at high speed in Montana a
few years back!).

Generally VHF/UHF antennas are pretty easy to mount. Its the HF antennas
that are a bear, especially with newer vehicles. My CR-V, with its
swing-out rear door (vs. lift gate) is a bear. I had antenna mounts on
the rear door (not a great solution), but was rear-ended recently and
now have a new door, sans antennas while I noodle on other solutions.
Yakima rack on top is inviting (but the antennas would need folded over
to get into garages (mine and parking).

73, Phil w7ox