Old April 26th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck

Default J_Pole Trials and Tribulations

On 25 Apr 2006 16:43:11 -0700, wrote:

jimbo wrote:

SNIP
jimbo - AJ7IM

Hi Jimbo, it has been my experience, and everybody else's that an
indoor or attic J-pole is unpredictable. A high impedance end fed
antenna in an attic environment will be hard to predict. Moving it one
foot can effect things.
You might consider the SO-239 ground plane. It can be built and
tuned in 30 minutes, is 50 ohms, so it will not be so concerned about
its environment. Likely you could not tell a difference in performance
from a J-pole especially if they are both in the attic.
Oh yes, the standard-if the SWR is below 3.0, don't worry about it.
Gary N4AST

I started building dipole antennas. they can be mounted horizontal or
vertical and easily moved around. I use cpvc with a dipole wire
inside and a coax-choke balun. They work quite well.

Just another option.
--
73 for now
Buck