Old April 29th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck

Default Mobile Antenna Question..

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:59:19 GMT, "Brian Murrey"
wrote:

I have a 2004 Ford Tarus SES and I was thinking about putting a mobie HF
antenna on it so I can play radio while driving from city to city doing my
job.

I have never had a mobile HF rig so I have some questions.

First...is there a website, newsgroup, or some other resource that might
have some HF antenna mounting info about my particular car?

I'm thinking about using a hamstick or a Workman Mobile from Hamstop on
eBay. I guess the big gnarley triple mag mount would work, but I was also
thinking about a license plate mounting kit....any suggestions?

How tall are these types of antennas for 40m, and 20m? My rig is a KX1 and
it has 20, 30, and 40 meter capability.

Thanks

73 de KB9BVN

I have been using a quad-magnet mount with an Antenna Speciallists
antenna (resembles the ham stick) very successfully. The antenna has
been mounted on the roof where I used 75, 40 and 20 meters. However,
being less careful at the time, I lost the 75 meter antenna when I hit
a low bridge at 35 MPH. (something to think about.)

The antennas worked very well, but I got tired of changing them. I
added a mount from under the bumper of my car and was able to use 20
meters there, but the low bands didn't drop SWR below 2:1 so I only
used them on the roof. I have made numerous DX and other contacts
from the roof mounted antennas including an italian station on 40
meters. Once I got two antennas working, 20 on the bumper and 40 on
the roof, I was happy for a while. Now I want more than two bands and
I would like to cover a wider bandwidth, so I have another thread
discussing my latest attempt at a mobile antenna idea.

Good luck, and let us know.

Buck
N4PGW
--