Old April 29th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Brian Murrey

Default Mobile Antenna Question..

I have a 2004 Ford Tarus SES and I was thinking about putting a mobie HF
antenna on it so I can play radio while driving from city to city doing my
job.

I have never had a mobile HF rig so I have some questions.

First...is there a website, newsgroup, or some other resource that might
have some HF antenna mounting info about my particular car?

I'm thinking about using a hamstick or a Workman Mobile from Hamstop on
eBay. I guess the big gnarley triple mag mount would work, but I was also
thinking about a license plate mounting kit....any suggestions?

How tall are these types of antennas for 40m, and 20m? My rig is a KX1 and
it has 20, 30, and 40 meter capability.

Thanks

73 de KB9BVN

Radio Amateurs - Fill your junk box, from my junkbox!
http://www.hamradparts.com
73 de KB9BVN

Old April 29th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Kevin & Natalia

Brian,

Also check out the Outbacker mobile antenna, I use one of these on my Toyota
Landcruiser, and works a dream.
Whatever antenna you decide to get make sure that it is in free space as
much as you can, this helps cut down car reflection, which is cases by metal
interaction.

I made a robust mount on the spare-wheel frame that hangs off the back of
the truck, and this made the job easier. As for mag-mounts, take into full
account the speed you may do, and the wind resistance the new antenna will
produce. Have heard of operators using a mag-mount for even a smaller
antenna, only to see in the mirror, it hanging or laying over the back.

Most mobile antennas are about 1.4mtrs up, my outbacker is approx 1.6mtrs
from the base to tip, and this is another 1.2mtrs off the ground.

I can send you a photo if you wish, and helps explain my setup?

All the best, willing to help if you have any further questions.

Kevin, ZL1KFM.

link.net...

Old April 29th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:59:19 GMT, "Brian Murrey"
wrote:

I have a 2004 Ford Tarus SES and I was thinking about putting a mobie HF
antenna on it so I can play radio while driving from city to city doing my
job.

I have never had a mobile HF rig so I have some questions.

First...is there a website, newsgroup, or some other resource that might
have some HF antenna mounting info about my particular car?

I'm thinking about using a hamstick or a Workman Mobile from Hamstop on
eBay. I guess the big gnarley triple mag mount would work, but I was also
thinking about a license plate mounting kit....any suggestions?

How tall are these types of antennas for 40m, and 20m? My rig is a KX1 and
it has 20, 30, and 40 meter capability.

Thanks

73 de KB9BVN

I have been using a quad-magnet mount with an Antenna Speciallists
antenna (resembles the ham stick) very successfully. The antenna has
been mounted on the roof where I used 75, 40 and 20 meters. However,
being less careful at the time, I lost the 75 meter antenna when I hit
a low bridge at 35 MPH. (something to think about.)

The antennas worked very well, but I got tired of changing them. I
added a mount from under the bumper of my car and was able to use 20
meters there, but the low bands didn't drop SWR below 2:1 so I only
used them on the roof. I have made numerous DX and other contacts
from the roof mounted antennas including an italian station on 40
meters. Once I got two antennas working, 20 on the bumper and 40 on
the roof, I was happy for a while. Now I want more than two bands and
I would like to cover a wider bandwidth, so I have another thread
discussing my latest attempt at a mobile antenna idea.

Good luck, and let us know.

Buck
N4PGW
--
73 for now
Buck
Old April 30th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Turner

Old April 30th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Brian Murrey

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am going with a 20m and a 40m
Hamstick type of antenna. I will most likely be mounting it to the Taurus
(which is a car and not a SUV) with one of those license plate mounting
kits. I am making the mounting kit in the metal shop next week. It will be
stainless steel and about twice as thick as the one Lakeview sells. I can
get a few very good grounds with the license plate mount.

I will then run some 10 ga stranded wires to the battery and fuse both sides
near the battery. I will make a connector cable for my KX1 so it mates up
OK. The KX1 is only 4w out so I could probably run it off the cigarette
lighter...which I might do anyway. I think the cig lighter is rated at 10A
so should be over kill.

I am also making a mount for my 2004 Durango so I can move the antenna and
rig between vehicles. I have ordered a few of the quick disconnect joints
for the mount. I will probably use RG8X for the antenna feed line. The KX1
has a built in antenna tuner.