Old November 26th 04, 03:14 PM
James

Default TX Distance question

Hi Folks

I have limited experience (ok almost none really) with respect to
Amateur Radio outside of the 2M band. However I just recently got my
code ticket & installed a radio on my sailboat. I am using a TS-50 with
an automatic tuner and a long copper wire to the top of the mast
(probably 50 feet or so long).

My ground plane/counterpoise consists of tying the ground to a large
aluminium area in the stern of the boat with a copper foil.

My very first contacts were established with 2 land stations on 14300 at
100W that were about 1000 miles away. They both reported that my signal
was good and that it sounded like I was "sitting right next to them". I
have no idea if this was a good distance, great, or mediocre.

I realize that propogation variables prevent anyone from giving a really
clear answer to this question, but in general, what sort of distance
should I expect to achieve? I'm trying to decide whether I need to
improve my antenna ground by adding a dynaplate (costly and requies the
boat to be taken from the water for installation) or whether the range I
am getting is decent.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks