Old May 25th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus

Default OT-Pioneer Equip.

SWL-2010 wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message

Some equipment has processors inside that get scrambled. Find out if it
has a power on reset or clear. It usually requires you hold a button
down some number of seconds when you turn it on.

It doesn't. I checked the receiver, and the book, and there's no reset. The
only reset is to set the receiver back to factory settings, but it has to be
powered on to do that, and it will not power on.

I had a similar experience with my Zephyr, microwave, and (hot
damn!...back on topic...) my I.C.E. active splitter, and one of my
shortwave radios. There was only a reset to return to defaults on the
radio, and the radio had to power up, which wouldn't do. This after a
power outage. The microwave had no reset.

There is often a surge, usually a back emf somewhere in the building,
that follows a catastrophic power failure. Or the surge may be related
to, or part of, the power failure itself. This can produce some nasty
impact on sensitive gear.

In the case of my ISDN tranciever, a board had to be replaced. The
I.C.E. splitter went back to the factory for refurbishment. In the case
of the microwave and the SW receiver, they both came back after being
off line and unplugged for 24 hours. The microwave continued to show
symptoms, and required a microprocessor replacement. The SW is still
rocking today.

As a result, all my hardware, including all my radios, and ancillary
gear, are now on surge protectors, as are my computers. And despite
several power failures since, and my own generator start ups, no further
incidents have been experienced.

I've also noted a slight reduction in noise in the radio room.

Most home theatre receiver manufacturers recommend at least
rudimentary surge protection to keep microprocessors from being fried.

My suggestion would be to get a good one. I use the Tripp Lite Isobar
series in the office and on all my electronic gear. Not only is the
protection good, but Tripp Lite offers a substantial equipment
protection guarantee (though there are substantial hoops to jump through
to collect), and they design the stips with real world users in mind.
Wall warts do not block adjacent outlets.

Not cheap. Worth the investment.

My ex-wife told me I would never grow up, and I think she may have been
right.

She doesn't know how lucky she is.