Old May 24th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SWL-2010

Default OT-Pioneer Equip.

Last December, I bought a new Pioneer 7.1 home theater receiver. The model
is the VSX-815, nothing real expensive, but a nice receiver for an
apartment. It has all the features, inputs, outputs etc, to hook a lot of
other gear to, like DVD players, recorder, VCR, games etc. Plenty of sound
modes, and the Pioneer system of adjusting the sound for your room. I liked
it.

Everything was hooked up, and operating just like I wanted. The surround
was excellent, picture quality excellent on cable DVD, and VHS and I was not
looking forward to re-wiring anything, because it's a big job for an old man
like me. All I had to do was turn it on and adjust the volume, and sit back
and enjoy.

Untill Tuesday. There was a power outage in my neighborhood, and my entire
building and block lost power for about 2 hours. When everything came back
online, the only thing that did not was the Pioneer, and it will not.

I'm pretty steamed. I bought the extra warranty, and I have a connection to
where I purchased it, so I know they will simply replace it, but my question
is, do I want another Pioneer?

I don't like de-wiring the entire harness for the two DVD players, the DVD
recorder, the TV, the Playstation, the VCR, the 5 disc CD player the single
disc CD player and my audio cassette recorder, plus the cable box. And I'm
not looking forward to reinstalling everything.

I just bought a new scanner last thursday, so I can't throw a bunch more
cash around right now, but I don't know about another Pioneer.

Old May 24th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Wed, 24 May 2006 04:45:32 GMT, "SWL-2010"
wrote:

[...]

Onkyo is the best mass market HT stuff.

Old May 25th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

wrote:

Untill Tuesday. There was a power outage in my neighborhood, and my entire
building and block lost power for about 2 hours. When everything came back
online, the only thing that did not was the Pioneer, and it will not.

I don't guess you checked the fuse?

I'm pretty steamed. I bought the extra warranty, and I have a connection to
where I purchased it, so I know they will simply replace it, but my question
is, do I want another Pioneer?

I've had good luck with Adcom.

bob
k5qwg

Old May 25th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SWL-2010

wrote:

Untill Tuesday. There was a power outage in my neighborhood, and my

entire
building and block lost power for about 2 hours. When everything came

back
online, the only thing that did not was the Pioneer, and it will not.

I don't guess you checked the fuse?

No, I don't want to take the top off since it's still in warranty. It goes
back tomorrow, they said they will replace it.

I'm pretty steamed. I bought the extra warranty, and I have a connection

where I purchased it, so I know they will simply replace it, but my

question
is, do I want another Pioneer?

I've had good luck with Adcom.

I should try something else, but since they are going to replace it, I will
give another one a try.

bob
k5qwg

Old May 25th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.brickwall.com www.pricewheeler.com
cuhulin

Old May 25th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own a Pioneer Onkyo AM/FM Strereo Radio.(I don't think they are the
best though) I bought it for $5.00 plus $3.00 each for the two Pioneer
speakers at a Goodwill store last year.A few months ago,I took the
cabinet off to see what was making that rattling around noise in
there.(It was two dimes) I haven't gotten around yet to seeing if the
radio works.Because I have gotten soooooo fat and lazy and I don't
really care if the radio works or not.
cuhulin

Old May 25th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

wrote:

Untill Tuesday. There was a power outage in my neighborhood, and my

entire
building and block lost power for about 2 hours. When everything came

back
online, the only thing that did not was the Pioneer, and it will not.

I don't guess you checked the fuse?

No, I don't want to take the top off since it's still in warranty. It goes
back tomorrow, they said they will replace it.

I'm pretty steamed. I bought the extra warranty, and I have a connection

where I purchased it, so I know they will simply replace it, but my

question
is, do I want another Pioneer?

I've had good luck with Adcom.

I should try something else, but since they are going to replace it, I will
give another one a try.

Some equipment has processors inside that get scrambled. Find out if it
has a power on reset or clear. It usually requires you hold a button
down some number of seconds when you turn it on.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 25th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SWL-2010

"Telamon" wrote in message
..
..

wrote:

[...]

It doesn't. I checked the receiver, and the book, and there's no reset. The
only reset is to set the receiver back to factory settings, but it has to be
powered on to do that, and it will not power on.

My brother seems to think it's a fuse, but I dont want to take the top off.
It's going back, in the afternoon, and they are going to give me another
one. I hope it works out, because I really like this model, for my apt
size, the sound, speration and audio special effects on the "advanced" 7.1
settings are superb.

The sound is qulaity is great. It's my 4th Home Theater receiver since they
have been making them, and by far the best. So, I'm anxious to get it all
hooked back up, to enjoy weekend movies. The movies channles on most
weekends premier some good ones. Last weekend, I enjoyed the new War of the
Worlds, The new Batman and Stealth. I liked them all. I enjoy cheesy B
style action movies too. When they fire guns, the sound goes across the room
to the back and side speakers. Then, like helicopters or jet aircraft start
at the front and zoom to the back. What can I say, I love it...:-)

My ex-wife told me I would never grow up, and I think she may have been
right.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old May 25th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus

SWL-2010 wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message

Some equipment has processors inside that get scrambled. Find out if it
has a power on reset or clear. It usually requires you hold a button
down some number of seconds when you turn it on.

It doesn't. I checked the receiver, and the book, and there's no reset. The
only reset is to set the receiver back to factory settings, but it has to be
powered on to do that, and it will not power on.

I had a similar experience with my Zephyr, microwave, and (hot
damn!...back on topic...) my I.C.E. active splitter, and one of my
shortwave radios. There was only a reset to return to defaults on the
radio, and the radio had to power up, which wouldn't do. This after a
power outage. The microwave had no reset.

There is often a surge, usually a back emf somewhere in the building,
that follows a catastrophic power failure. Or the surge may be related
to, or part of, the power failure itself. This can produce some nasty
impact on sensitive gear.

In the case of my ISDN tranciever, a board had to be replaced. The
I.C.E. splitter went back to the factory for refurbishment. In the case
of the microwave and the SW receiver, they both came back after being
off line and unplugged for 24 hours. The microwave continued to show
symptoms, and required a microprocessor replacement. The SW is still
rocking today.

As a result, all my hardware, including all my radios, and ancillary
gear, are now on surge protectors, as are my computers. And despite
several power failures since, and my own generator start ups, no further
incidents have been experienced.

I've also noted a slight reduction in noise in the radio room.

Most home theatre receiver manufacturers recommend at least
rudimentary surge protection to keep microprocessors from being fried.

My suggestion would be to get a good one. I use the Tripp Lite Isobar
series in the office and on all my electronic gear. Not only is the
protection good, but Tripp Lite offers a substantial equipment
protection guarantee (though there are substantial hoops to jump through
to collect), and they design the stips with real world users in mind.
Wall warts do not block adjacent outlets.

Not cheap. Worth the investment.

My ex-wife told me I would never grow up, and I think she may have been
right.

She doesn't know how lucky she is.

Old May 25th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On Thu, 25 May 2006 02:14:19 GMT, "SWL-2010"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Untill Tuesday. There was a power outage in my neighborhood, and my

entire
building and block lost power for about 2 hours. When everything came

back
online, the only thing that did not was the Pioneer, and it will not.

I don't guess you checked the fuse?

No, I don't want to take the top off since it's still in warranty. It goes
back tomorrow, they said they will replace it.

The powerline fuse is normally on the back on the radio. Release the
fuse holder; visually inspect the fuse; if the metal strand is broken,
that's your problem.

Your manual should show you exactly where the fuse is.

bob
k5qwg

I'm pretty steamed. I bought the extra warranty, and I have a connection

where I purchased it, so I know they will simply replace it, but my

question
is, do I want another Pioneer?

I've had good luck with Adcom.

I should try something else, but since they are going to replace it, I will
give another one a try.

bob
k5qwg

What equip to buy? [email protected] Equipment 20 March 1st 05 05:49 PM
Swan Equip ku4yp Boatanchors 1 August 11th 04 03:10 PM
Pioneer cable box Byron Swap 0 January 22nd 04 05:13 AM
Misc surveillance, commo and test equip FS Steve Uhrig Swap 0 September 16th 03 07:42 PM
Commo & Surveillance Equip FS Steve Uhrig Swap 0 July 15th 03 07:13 PM