Old May 26th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Slow Code

Default ARRL members, I need your help...[snip]

"Steve N." wrote in
:

OK, OK, OK I'll bite just a bit...

"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Steve N." wrote in
:

Slow,
It's is a shame you have to:

1- talk like this and
2- have so little respect for others and
3- have no ability to rationally discuss prows and cons complex
issues and 4- have a poor understanding of what makes a good ham and
5- have so little understanding some real-world practical aspects of
this issue and most importantly...
6- show such poor ham characteristics.
7- and probably have so little real knowledge of ham radio, is my
guess. and
8- be a troll

If you're also a 20 WPM extra, then we can easily do without your
immature attitudes and behaviors here and on the bands.

Hey guys! it is also a shame you get drawn into these types and feed
their small minds.

73, Steve, K9DCI

Yes, Yes, yes,
but what are your thoughts on the following:

No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and pass
all elements required for their license class.

sc,

Lesee... Well, I believe you have some discussable concepts here.

In other areas there are currency requirements. Flying, for example.
If
you haven't kept up, you need refresher flights with an instructor. We
first try to outline what is gained / lost over time and whether
re-testing can address these issues. Old timers will be required to
learn about QPSK and all the modern concepts.

Then we go from here.

One general area you seem to fail to address is some of the practical
aspects regarding number of licensees and the viability of retaining the
Amateur Service all together. If the number of Hams keeps declining,
will there be ANY licenses...and do you (in general) want to preserve
something, or kill it all if numbers fall, manufacturers stop producing
products, etc... This can not be ignored in the rest of the
discussions.

I know Extras who couldn't build a thing, yet are active, intelligent
and law abiding. They have interest I can discuss with them. I also
know no-code'ers that are the most serious hams around...not to mention
several that came from CB and are now died-in-the-wool-hams.
I also hear Extras on the air that should aim for a tree the next time
they drive a car.

Is learning CW a "right of passage" and an effort that helps to
strengthen the Ham...yes...for some. Does it guarantee an excellent,
expert Ham? Not by a long shot. That comes from elsewhere.

However, based on the post of yours that I responded to, I choose
not to
go further since you have demonstrated such a poor attitude, I feel it
is not worth the time exploring with you. Ill pick more important
battles. Enjoy your Hamm activities (if you have any) and be content.
you brand or devisiveness accompliches nothing except, perhaps allowing
a few of the responders to vent and possibly hear (though by accident)
some reasonable points.

Do you have a call, name? With a pseudonym like yours, I'd think
you'dbe on the other side. What are you affraid of?

73, Steve K9DCI

The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

How about the licence grade depending on the score? How about
much
more strict requirements for on-air procedure. I hear many who have
licenses and still don't know how to communicate efficiently in
emergency drills or ID properly.

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

CW only was a requirement due to international treaty in the
first
place. That is no longer the case. You are clrarly hung up on CW.
WHY? What does it bring / guarantee? Why is CW so much more important
that all other aspects of on-air operation?

Make the no-code Tech license one year non-renewable.

This still comes directly from the "CW or nothing" concept.
73 (in the truest sense)

My arguement has always been for the quality of the hams. You appreciate
something more that you had to work to achieve, and respect the rewards
it gives.

Cheapening something makes it disposable. Ham numbers are declining.

sc