Old May 27th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

Default IBOC - Redefining AM Radio Service As We Know It

"IonSpot" wrote in message
IBOC will be just another failed attempt to "save" AM radio. AM radio
died decades ago as a viable medium.

I see. then why are two of the top 3 billing stations in San Francisco AM?
In fact, a quarter of the top 100 billing stations in the USA are AM.

In 1985 I was in the industry and at that time CQUAM AM Stereo was gonna
save AM Radio. It didn't and IBOC won't.

AM swtereo was supposed to launch in 1978. A nasty old man, Leonard Kahn,
sued to try to get his system approved, and it was 1983 before a decision
was made. By that time, AM had gone form 60% of all listening to 40%, and
there was no chance to revive it. Plus, the early C Quam was not a
particularly good system, especially in cars.