Old May 29th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default IBOC at Night and the Local/Regional AMs

David Eduardo wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I assume you have proof of better than CD sound quality. So you are
saying HD FM is PCM? If not, please retract your statement.

It is higher quality than analog FM, which is limited in badwith. It is
capable of being "better than CD" quality if only one digital stream is used
on FM. The problem is that there is no material, other than live, to
broadcast that way, so most staitons are doing two HD FM channels.

Also, keep in mind most CDs do not sound very good, as the original
recording was significantly compressed and distorted before the pressing.

I really have no problem with digital radio schemes, but can't tolerate
anything that screws up the current analog system.

FM HD does not affect the quality of the analog signal. It may, in some
cases, cause the inability to hear ultra fringe stations from other markets.
But there is essentially no listening to such stations in such areas, so
there is no loss if nothing existed before.

AM analog has to be backed off to a 5 kHz to 7 kHz upper limit, but since
most analog radios don't go that far even, there is no loss and actually the
more limited bandwidth sounds better on many of today's radios. It certainly
sounds no worse.

I really can't see how any compressed audio will be better than PCM.
Again, without hard facts on HD quality, I'll assume it isn't as good
as PCM until shown otherwise.

I can live with FM HD, but the reduced BW of the AM signal isn't a good
idea. KCBS post HD sounds like KFI. [Hey, if I sounded as bad as KFI,
I'd whisper my station ID too.] And the potential interference with
out of town stations (i.e. where the hash of one IBOC channel sits on
the analog signal of another station) is a real show stopper,
especially if at night.

You need to consider all those people who don't live in metropolitan
areas, or even those driving on I-5. I can see HD leading to XM sales
for those who do any rural travelling or live in the sticks.

Since when does the FCC adopt a standard that hands money to one
particular patent holder?