Old June 9th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave

Default Buyer Beware - Cobra Ultralight

No antenna will work across the full 75/80 meter band with low enough VSWR to
accommodate all radios. REASON: the bandwidth range +/- 13.3% centered on 3750
KHz to the band edges is excessive. If you cut the antenna for 3.9 MHz it most
likely will not load up well below 3.7 MHz. A tuner is required!! PERIOD.

For comparison, the bandwidth range on 20 meters centered on 14.175 is only +/- 2.4%

Don't jump on condemning the antenna too soon. Do some more research and ask
more questions regarding 75/80 meters broadband antennas and what "broadband" means.

/s/ DD, W1MCE

wrote:

Buyer Beware
I have read all the reviews and I am wondering if they are about the
same antenna I purchased. I bought the Cobra junior antenna and
followed the directions for installation. The antenna is 50ft in the
air in a flat top configuration. When I hooked it up to my radio, it
would not tune on segments of certain bands, most noticeably 75/80. I
called Joe to get some help and was told that my radio, which has a
built in tuner would not accept more than a certain level of SWR and
was told to trim the twinlead back 19 feet. I did and while some of the
problem was solved, I continued to have problems on 75/80. I emailed
Joe to ask for further assistance and was told that the next step was
to buy a tuner extender (price $60). Not the answer I wanted to hear.
If in fact this kind of problem exists with radios that have built in
tuners, prospective buyers should know that in advance. For the cost of
the antenna and now the tuner extender, I could have bought a better
antenna, which is what I intend to do. I am not pleased with this
antenna and would not recommend it especially to someone who has a
radio with a built in tuner and intends to use it. Additionaly, the
performance on 40 seems to be very good. It seems to under perform on
20. Can't tell on 75/80 because I can't tune the band.

KC2GWK