Old June 13th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Martes

Default 2 Meter QUAD - Balun / SWR question

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:46:31 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:
Hi Richard

As you know, I have been getting good results with the high permeability
ferrite tubes for decoupling the coax feed line on my balanced antenna.
bought a bunch of inexpensive ferrites that were intended for absorbing
RFI,
from All Electronics. Would it be practical for Kevin, the orginal
poster,
to get decent results with a few ferrites covering the coax where it
seperates from the boom??

Hi Jerry,

Sure, but you have the advantage of being able to measure the Z of
those ferrites. However, buying them rummage style and hoping they
will work does not always bring a satisfactory solution.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hi Richard

I realize that I place way more emphasis on "Amateur" in the HAM concept.
I'm not inclined to depend on using only the best component. But, it seems
that any of those ferrite tubes that were intended to be used to minimize
RFI will work well at 144 MHz. So, since they are cheap and available, I
thought it might be worth trying some inexpensive, high permeability tubes
instead of coiling the coax into a coil.
I did measure the impedance across a loop of RG 223 with 4 tubes around
the outside. The problem I come up with is my ignorance of *whats needed*
for adequate decoupling of the balanced antenna from the outside of the
coax.
I depend on you to shed light on alot of the things I try.

Jerry