Old July 14th 03, 02:58 PM
Gary S.

On 13 Jul 2003 23:37:34 -0700, Javier Henderson
wrote:

Gary S. Idontwantspam@net writes:

I did a version of this while hiking.

Standing on top of a 3200 foot mountain (Monadnock in SW NH) helps the
range of a 5W HT quite a bit.

I agree. I was able to hit a repeater 20 miles north of Fresno,
from a few miles south of Santa Barbara, but my preferred approach
to this is simplex frequencies.

So far, calling CQ on 146.520 has yielded a few QSO's. I'll continue
with that practice.

I did also try 520 simplex and raised someone about 40 air miles
northeast of there, in South Manchester, NH. He had a mobile rig in
his house, IIRC.

It would be good if more people were listening on the major simplex
frequency, as that would be used for distress calls in the absence of
a specific repeater.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA