Old October 6th 03, 10:10 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:38:48 -0400, "Tarmo Tammaru" wrote:

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
.. .

This concept is foreign to me, so if I'm wrong I'd like to have some proof

that
the source impedance can have any influence on SWR.

Walt

Walt,

I don't think the source impedance has any effect on SWR. In fact I have
changed the source impedance and saw no change in SWR. But Since tha SWR
meter is a really dumb bunny, I wonder of the meter can be mislead by a
reactive source impedance that forces the current to be out of phase with
the voltage. Perhaps a case where the source and load both are reactive?

Tam/WB2TT

Tam,

I totally disagree with those who say SWR appearing on a mismatched transmission
line is dependent on the source impedance. If I understand Richard C correctly,
he claims with 'bullet-poof' certainty that SWR is dependent on the source
impedance. And if I understand Reg's earlier statement correctly, he shares
Richard's position. I asked Reg for clarification, but he has not yet responded.

Richard C, you suggest we step up to the bench and perform your experiment that
will prove you are correct. If you described this experiment to me earlier I
invoke my Alzheimer's excuse for not remembering it. So would you please repeat
it for my benefit? I'll be back at my Florida lab by Oct 22, and am anxious to
perform it.

And Richard H, thanks for the support. More than 50 years of lab and
professional work on transmission lines have never shown the source impedance to
have any effect on propagation along the line, other than to influence the
magnitude of the signal as it enters and propagates along the line.

Walt, W2DU