Old July 5th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Slow Code Slow Code is offline

Default A question for nickle Generals and Extras. Would you renew your license?

"clfe" wrote in
:

"L. M. Rappaport" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:21:48 GMT, Slow Code wrote
(with possible editing):

Phony's can ignore. This question doesn't apply to no-codes.

Nickle Generals and Extras:

If the 13 and 20 wpm CW exams came back and you had to pass the proper
code exam for your class to renew, 13 wpm for general, 20 wpm for
extra, would you renew your license?

Yes, I would. I admit it would take a bit of practice to get back to
20 wpm, but I would do it.
--

73,
Larry W1HJF

Ya know what they say, if ya don't use it - ya lose it. We seem to lose
track of more than code. Many lose track of some of the theory, formulas
and so on they've learned to get their license. There are times you
don't seem to need it, but just when you do - you stumble for it. It is
best to "try" to stay as active as you can in some aspect of radio. It
is a shame to study, test, get your license only to let it all be for
naught. Even by going through the news groups and reading the "tech"
aspects of repairing and so on, you can at least keep that part of it
alive.

Just my 2 cents.

Lou - KA3FLU

That is why I have always proposed that licenses shouldn't be
automatically renewable. When a license expires or is just about to
expire the ham must retake and pass all exam elements required for that
license class before it can be renewed again.

99% of the hams on usenet hate my proposal. They think you shouldn't have
to be proficient at anything to have a ham radio license. I think the
reason all this came about was after ham radio was dumbed down by
restructuring alot of CB'ers were able to get licensed and oppose anything
that might required you work to be proficient and valuable asset to the
service.

SC