Old August 20th 03, 03:29 PM
Art Harris

"Greg Courville" wrote:
I'm a new Tech-class, KG6SGY, and I'd like to take a shot at DXing.
First of all, could someone reccommend a band and mode for a beginner like
me to start out on? I'm willing to take the code test or even upgrade to
general if need be.
Second, does anyone have an HF rig they would be willing to sell at a
relatively low price? I only have a little over $55 to my name.

DX means different things to different people. With a Tech license,
you can operate 6 meters and up. It's possible to work a few hundred
miles on vhf/uhf using ssb with a good high antenna and favorable
conditions.

If you get your General license, you can operate all the HF bands. At
this point in the solar cycle, 15 and 10 meters aren't too great. 20
and 17 meters are the best bets for working DX on ssb. At night, you
might also try 30 and 40 meters on cw.

$55 won't get you much in the way of equipment. If you're willing to
operate CW, you may be able to pick up a vintage tube-type rig at a
hamfest. With 50-100 watts and a simple wire dipole, you will be able
to work a good amount of DX on CW.

Check out the local ham clubs in your area. Some of the old timers
will likely help you get started, and perhaps lend you a rig.

See:
http://www.qrz.com/clubs.html?

Good luck,
Art Harris N2AH