Old August 20th 03, 08:40 AM
Greg Courville

Default Need HF rig for first try at DXing

I'm a new Tech-class, KG6SGY, and I'd like to take a shot at DXing.
First of all, could someone reccommend a band and mode for a beginner like
me to start out on? I'm willing to take the code test or even upgrade to
general if need be.
Second, does anyone have an HF rig they would be willing to sell at a
relatively low price? I only have a little over $55 to my name.

Thanks!

-Greg Courville
KG6SGY

Old August 20th 03, 02:47 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Greg -- I recently saw a Swan 350 on e-bay for $40. It may have required
some work.

Go to swap meets or swap pages and look for one of the older rigs -- Swan
350, Yaesu FT-101's, Kenwood TS-520S, etc.

Repair or look for an Elmer to help you.

These older rigs will get you on the HF Bands (less 12M, 17M, and 30M)

You will need to take the code test (gets you on 10M SSB) but 10M is pretty
poor at the moment). Technicians who pass a 5 WPM Morse code examination are
entitled to limited power outputs on certain HF frequencies. "Technicians
with HF" may operate on the 80, 40, and 15 meter bands using CW, and on the
10 meter band using CW, voice, and digital modes.

So a general ticket may be in order, then you can work CW or SSB on
80,40,20,15, and 10M with one of the older rigs.

Antennas are easy to homebrew for a few dollars.

Good luck and congrads on the new ticket.

DXing can be addictive but a rush for sure.
=================================

Old August 20th 03, 03:29 PM
Art Harris

"Greg Courville" wrote:
I'm a new Tech-class, KG6SGY, and I'd like to take a shot at DXing.
First of all, could someone reccommend a band and mode for a beginner like
me to start out on? I'm willing to take the code test or even upgrade to
general if need be.
Second, does anyone have an HF rig they would be willing to sell at a
relatively low price? I only have a little over $55 to my name.

DX means different things to different people. With a Tech license,
you can operate 6 meters and up. It's possible to work a few hundred
miles on vhf/uhf using ssb with a good high antenna and favorable
conditions.

If you get your General license, you can operate all the HF bands. At
this point in the solar cycle, 15 and 10 meters aren't too great. 20
and 17 meters are the best bets for working DX on ssb. At night, you
might also try 30 and 40 meters on cw.

$55 won't get you much in the way of equipment. If you're willing to
operate CW, you may be able to pick up a vintage tube-type rig at a
hamfest. With 50-100 watts and a simple wire dipole, you will be able
to work a good amount of DX on CW.

Check out the local ham clubs in your area. Some of the old timers
will likely help you get started, and perhaps lend you a rig.

See:
http://www.qrz.com/clubs.html?

Good luck,
Art Harris N2AH
Old August 20th 03, 03:29 PM
Art Harris

"Greg Courville" wrote:
[...]

FA - Worcester Space Magnet SM-2 LOOP ANTENNA for AM BCB DXing Ron N8LMT Boatanchors 0 December 31st 04 11:16 PM
FA - Worcester Space Magnet SM-2 LOOP ANTENNA for AM BCB DXing Ron N8LMT Boatanchors 0 December 31st 04 11:16 PM
AM dxing PalmaG72 Dx 14 December 2nd 04 07:12 PM
Request for DXing and QSL information Da Shadow Dx 0 June 19th 04 02:45 PM
Request for DXing and QSL information Da Shadow Dx 0 June 19th 04 02:45 PM