Old October 9th 03, 03:40 PM
Crazy George

Mike:

Identification of the jacket material would help, as there are very few PE
jacketed coaxes, especially large sizes like this.

Having said that, the dimensions match, within the accuracy of home
measurements, that of RG -218/U, the standardized 50 ohm version of RG-17/U
(52 ohms), and nomenclatured in the US as M17/79-RG218 or M17/166-00001.
RG-17 has a center conductor closer to 4.78 mm, while the later 50 ohm
RG-218 is only slightly smaller than 5 mm (4.95). In any event, you need
UG-167A/U or M39012/01-0104 (type N male) connectors.

--
Crazy George
W5VPQ
"MikeN" wrote in message
I have a 30 metre length of large diameter coax which I need to
identity to ensure I get the correct connectors.

The cable is about twice as thick as RG213, and has the following
parameters.

Sheath is 22mm OD black PVC. or PE
Inner conductor is a single solid 5 mm dia copper conductor
Outer conductor is bare copper braid.
Dielectric is solid polyethylene

I think this coax is UR 74 or perhaps UR 74M (is there a difference?).

Could someone confirm my identifcation or put me right if I'm in
error.

Thanks

MikeN ZL1BNB