Old October 9th 03, 02:23 AM
MikeN

Default Please identify this Coax.

I have a 30 metre length of large diameter coax which I need to
identity to ensure I get the correct connectors.

The cable is about twice as thick as RG213, and has the following
parameters.

Sheath is 22mm OD black PVC. or PE
Inner conductor is a single solid 5 mm dia copper conductor
Outer conductor is bare copper braid.
Dielectric is solid polyethylene

I think this coax is UR 74 or perhaps UR 74M (is there a difference?).

Could someone confirm my identifcation or put me right if I'm in
error.

Thanks

MikeN ZL1BNB
Old October 9th 03, 03:43 AM
Reg Edwards

"MikeN" wrote
I have a 30 metre length of large diameter coax which I need to
identity to ensure I get the correct connectors.

The cable is about twice as thick as RG213, and has the following
parameters.

Sheath is 22mm OD black PVC. or PE
Inner conductor is a single solid 5 mm dia copper conductor
Outer conductor is bare copper braid.
Dielectric is solid polyethylene

===================================

Download in a few seconds from website below, programs COAXPAIR and COAXRATE
to obtain from dimensions all the performance data you need. The only info
they don't provide is the manufacturer's type number.
----
=======================
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software
go to http://www.g4fgq.com
=======================

Old October 9th 03, 03:50 AM
Rein Wiehler

MikeN wrote:

I have a 30 metre length of large diameter coax which I need to
identity to ensure I get the correct connectors.

The cable is about twice as thick as RG213, and has the following
parameters.

Sheath is 22mm OD black PVC. or PE
Inner conductor is a single solid 5 mm dia copper conductor
Outer conductor is bare copper braid.
Dielectric is solid polyethylene

I think this coax is UR 74 or perhaps UR 74M (is there a difference?).

Could someone confirm my identifcation or put me right if I'm in
error.

Thanks

MikeN ZL1BNB

is there nothing marked on the outside?

Old October 9th 03, 04:28 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

Sounds like some stuff I once looked at. That was either RG17 or RG117.
Connectors are going to be very expensive. Unless you can determine that it
is very low loss, and really want it, buying new 9913 or LMR400 + connectors
might be cheaper. Andrew connectors in that size range are about U$ 30 each.

Tam/WB2TT

Old October 9th 03, 03:40 PM
Crazy George

Mike:

Identification of the jacket material would help, as there are very few PE
jacketed coaxes, especially large sizes like this.

Having said that, the dimensions match, within the accuracy of home
measurements, that of RG -218/U, the standardized 50 ohm version of RG-17/U
(52 ohms), and nomenclatured in the US as M17/79-RG218 or M17/166-00001.
RG-17 has a center conductor closer to 4.78 mm, while the later 50 ohm
RG-218 is only slightly smaller than 5 mm (4.95). In any event, you need
UG-167A/U or M39012/01-0104 (type N male) connectors.

--
Crazy George
W5VPQ

Old October 10th 03, 12:02 AM
MikeN

Thanks for the responses I received.

This coax was sourced from the UK, that's why I suspect it's UR 74.
There are no visible markings (its's not new). One UK cable supplier
is advertising connectors at a very fair price.

I want to use this for feeding a local 70cm repeater, without
incurring too much cost.

MikeN ZL1BNB

Old October 10th 03, 12:14 AM
MikeN

Thanks for the info.

How does one distinguish between PE and PVC in a cable outer?

I measured the dimensions with a metric vernier caliper, so the
dimensions I gave should be sufficiently precise for identification.

It seem's that RG218 is equivalent to UR 74, so the connectors you
quote should fit either. N type connectors for UR 74 are offered for
around £4 by a UK supplier

Thanks

MikeN ZL1BNB