Old July 27th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] Scpmiller@aol.com is offline

Default Recommendation (new radio, return, Sony vs. Kaito, etc.)

The Degen 1103 is a great cheap radio. I have also had the Sony 7600
(sold it when I bought the G), 7600G and now the 7600GR.
The Sony's are my goto radios for travel. They are rugged, lots of
features and sound great with good headphones. I will get the antenna
one of these days too. Also, I could get my money out of them anytime
I wanted.
The degen is a wonderful set for the money if you get a good one and I
have had lots of fun with it. But I don't take it with me. That jog
wheel tuning looks too delicate for me and the way I travel. I use the
radio around the house to check the ham bands and general conditions.
I switch to the Sony if I want to get serious. If you want to have fun
with this hobby go with the Sony.

NomadW8 wrote:
I am a long, long time SWL & Ham (since 1959). I have used literally
hundreds of shortwave receivers & hamband receivers over that time.Two
months ago I bought a Degen 1103 used for $35.

I say return the Sony & get the Degen (Kaito)1103.

It's a very good radiofor the $'s. Matches the Sony 7600 in
performance.
Receives SSB/CW (unlike the 1101) & is inexpensive.

I use mine daily to monitor the ham bands, listen to AM & FM broadcast
& shortwave broadcast.

You can have low price & good performance.

See reviews he http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4288

&

http://www.radiointel.com/phil/2005_phil_port_guide.pdf

Terry