Old July 26th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Recommendation (new radio, return, Sony vs. Kaito, etc.)

Keep the Sony 7600GR
Forget the KA31 antenna.
Get the Sony antenna use it on the Sony radio.

You want SSB and the Sony is great for that.

There have been quality control problems of late with the DE1103s.
This was an issue when it first came out, then was cleared up. Now
another batch of them is giving people fits (see the Yahoo group de1103)

Before this new bad batch was released I would have said not to hesitate
getting a DE1103, it's the best performer for dollar spent in portables. (My opinion)
Incredibly sensitive off the built in whip, better sounding speaker than the Sony,
and acceptable SSB if you can get the fine tuning ritual down.

Wavetrapper doesn't like the volume control, keypad layout, ergonomics
of the 1103. Many feel the same way. I never had a problem getting used
to it, but with the newer ones having problems I wouldn't recommend an 1103 now

"Gus" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this list and shortwave (SWL). I have an interesting twist
to the age old question, "what's a good first radio" (Yes, I did search
the group before deciding to post).

Okay, I decided I wanted to get into shortwave listening (after hearing
an NPR report on numbers stations). I'm primarily interested in
listening to major broadcasts (BBC, VOA, VOR, VOK, Radio Netherlands,
etc.) and maybe the occasional numbers station, if I can find one.

In terms of electronics, I tend to subscribe to two schools: buy the
absolute best OR buy the cheapest thing that will get the job done
(middle of the road stuff tends to be over priced given the feature
set). Well, after a little reading, I opted to buy the Sony
ICF-SW7600GR. I received the '7600GR a few days ago, and the radio
appears to work well.

The '7600GR was relatively expensive, and I'm not sure if I'll use it
enough to really reap the benefits of having a top-quality portable.
The Kaito KA1101 (Degen DE1101) got a favorable review in the 2006
_Passport to World Band..._ and at other SWL sites online, and I'm
beginning to wonder if I should have went the "cheapest thing that will
get the job done" route, especially since I'm so new to SWL.
Furthermore, I'm thinking of getting an antenna, and the Sony AN-LP1
(which apparently pairs well with the '7600GR) is about $105 delivered
from Japan (on eBay). I can order a KA1101 with the KA31 antenna for
about $100 delivered, which will save me well over $100 (more like
$160) when compared to the '7600GR + AN-LP1 combo.

On to my question, should I return the '7600GR? Will I notice a big
(unfavorable) difference in performance in the KA1101? Is SSB and sync
lock really necessary for my interests. I'm having a hard time with
this decision, so any input or recommendations are welcome---$160 is a
lot of money for me, especially if the KA1101 will work well enough for
my purposes.

Thanks,

Gus

Old July 27th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I am a long, long time SWL & Ham (since 1959). I have used literally
hundreds of shortwave receivers & hamband receivers over that time.Two
months ago I bought a Degen 1103 used for $35.

I say return the Sony & get the Degen (Kaito)1103.

It's a very good radiofor the $'s. Matches the Sony 7600 in
performance.
Receives SSB/CW (unlike the 1101) & is inexpensive.

I use mine daily to monitor the ham bands, listen to AM & FM broadcast
& shortwave broadcast.

You can have low price & good performance.

See reviews he http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4288

&

http://www.radiointel.com/phil/2005_phil_port_guide.pdf

Terry
W8EJO

Old July 27th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The Degen 1103 is a great cheap radio. I have also had the Sony 7600
(sold it when I bought the G), 7600G and now the 7600GR.
The Sony's are my goto radios for travel. They are rugged, lots of
features and sound great with good headphones. I will get the antenna
one of these days too. Also, I could get my money out of them anytime
I wanted.
The degen is a wonderful set for the money if you get a good one and I
have had lots of fun with it. But I don't take it with me. That jog
wheel tuning looks too delicate for me and the way I travel. I use the
radio around the house to check the ham bands and general conditions.
I switch to the Sony if I want to get serious. If you want to have fun
with this hobby go with the Sony.