Old August 28th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Doug Smith W9WI Doug Smith W9WI is offline

Default Iranian Shortwave tonight

Charles C wrote:
I thought I would try to hear the IRIB station on 7235kHz 1:30-2:30
tonight just for fun. There were some amateur operators knowingly
talking over the broadcast on LSB (they mentioned hearing the station).
I had to switch to USB to avoid their chatter where the reception
wasn't so good. LSB was excellent except for the Hams. They seem to
have stopped now.(1:49) That is just bad form, in my opinion, I don't
care who it is.

The 7100-7300KHz band is assigned for amateur radio use in the Americas,
and for broadcasting in the rest of the world. (the 7100-7200KHz part
is being reassigned, to amateurs, in those areas where it's currently
used for broadcasting)

It was originally amateur spectrum worldwide. When the broadcasters got
7100-7300 overseas, they promised they wouldn't target their broadcasts
to the Americas and would select frequencies, schedules, and antenna
patterns that wouldn't interfere with the existing amateur assignments
in the Americas.

I don't think anyone in amateur radio was surprised to find that sharing
didn't work out so well.

Anyway, a broadcast station on 7235KHz has no protected coverage in the
Americas. If IRIB wants to be heard over here, they need to use a
frequency above 7300KHz.

In the early evening there is generally no place in the 7150-7300KHz
voice band where amateur operation is possible without interference from
broadcast stations. It is common practice to operate zero-beat to a
broadcast carrier in order to eliminate heterodyne interference from the
broadcast signal.

Unless the hams specifically mentioned IRIB, I strongly suspect they
didn't know *which* broadcast station was there on 7235.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66