Old August 28th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Iranian Shortwave tonight

I thought I would try to hear the IRIB station on 7235kHz 1:30-2:30
tonight just for fun. There were some amateur operators knowingly
talking over the broadcast on LSB (they mentioned hearing the station).
I had to switch to USB to avoid their chatter where the reception
wasn't so good. LSB was excellent except for the Hams. They seem to
have stopped now.(1:49) That is just bad form, in my opinion, I don't
care who it is.

Charles C.
Tennessee, USA
Old August 28th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Charles C wrote:

I thought I would try to hear the IRIB station on 7235kHz 1:30-2:30
tonight just for fun. There were some amateur operators knowingly
talking over the broadcast on LSB (they mentioned hearing the station).
I had to switch to USB to avoid their chatter where the reception
wasn't so good. LSB was excellent except for the Hams. They seem to
have stopped now.(1:49) That is just bad form, in my opinion, I don't
care who it is.

Yeah, I can hear some Ham interference also. Interestingly, it's
worse on the Grundig Sat 800, but Iran sounds *much* better on the all
analog Sat 2100!

Other than the dumb ass Hams deliberately interfering, what did you
think of the Iranian newscast? Interesting, yes?

Mike
Old August 28th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Charles C wrote:
I thought I would try to hear the IRIB station on 7235kHz 1:30-2:30
tonight just for fun. There were some amateur operators knowingly
talking over the broadcast on LSB (they mentioned hearing the station).
I had to switch to USB to avoid their chatter where the reception
wasn't so good. LSB was excellent except for the Hams. They seem to
have stopped now.(1:49) That is just bad form, in my opinion, I don't
care who it is.

The 7100-7300KHz band is assigned for amateur radio use in the Americas,
and for broadcasting in the rest of the world. (the 7100-7200KHz part
is being reassigned, to amateurs, in those areas where it's currently
used for broadcasting)

It was originally amateur spectrum worldwide. When the broadcasters got
7100-7300 overseas, they promised they wouldn't target their broadcasts
to the Americas and would select frequencies, schedules, and antenna
patterns that wouldn't interfere with the existing amateur assignments
in the Americas.

I don't think anyone in amateur radio was surprised to find that sharing
didn't work out so well.

Anyway, a broadcast station on 7235KHz has no protected coverage in the
Americas. If IRIB wants to be heard over here, they need to use a
frequency above 7300KHz.

In the early evening there is generally no place in the 7150-7300KHz
voice band where amateur operation is possible without interference from
broadcast stations. It is common practice to operate zero-beat to a
broadcast carrier in order to eliminate heterodyne interference from the
broadcast signal.

Unless the hams specifically mentioned IRIB, I strongly suspect they
didn't know *which* broadcast station was there on 7235.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old August 28th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Charles C wrote:
I thought I would try to hear the IRIB station on 7235kHz 1:30-2:30
tonight just for fun. There were some amateur operators knowingly
talking over the broadcast on LSB (they mentioned hearing the station).
I had to switch to USB to avoid their chatter where the reception
wasn't so good. LSB was excellent except for the Hams. They seem to
have stopped now.(1:49) That is just bad form, in my opinion, I don't
care who it is.

Charles C.
Tennessee, USA

I apologize for my ham brethren. However, the 40 meter band privileges
are very limited. No sideband is permitted below 7.15 MHz. Basically,
if one wants to communicate with another on the 40 band at night, you're
either going to use morse code, some very narrowband digital signal, or
you're going to have to try talking underneath the broadcasters.

The problem here is the United States Federal Communication Commission.
The international sophistry is that hams have the band during the day,
and broadcasters have it at night. However, the band usually isn't
worth using during the day for communications beyond a few hundred
miles. At night it opens up with 2000 mile paths being common. Many
hams would very much like to use this band at night to communicate with
their pals on the other side of the continent. So they grin and bear it
under the much more powerful broadcast signals.

Hams have access to the 40 meter band on a "non interference" basis,
much like most of the bands ham radio operators use. Few bother to
complain to the ham radio operators, however. So they're under no
obligation to shut down.

This is the end result of one of those stupid international treaties
which don't do anyone much good. It's not good for the broadcasters and
it's not good for the hams. It's been this way since before I became a
ham more than 30 years ago. I wish it were different, but it's not
likely to change in the near future.

73,

DE AB3A
Old August 29th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:56:38 -0500, Charles C
wrote:

I thought I would try to hear the IRIB station on 7235kHz 1:30-2:30
tonight just for fun. There were some amateur operators knowingly
talking over the broadcast on LSB (they mentioned hearing the station).
I had to switch to USB to avoid their chatter where the reception
wasn't so good. LSB was excellent except for the Hams. They seem to
have stopped now.(1:49) That is just bad form, in my opinion, I don't
care who it is.
Charles C.
Tennessee, USA

Hams earned the Federal Licenses to transmit on there licensed
frequencies. That's the way it is. We have a lot of money, time,
mental and physical sweat invested in radio.
KG8PM

Old August 30th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Jake Brodsky wrote:

Charles C wrote:
[...]

I thought I read somewhere that this is going to change in the near
future, that a portion of the band is supposed to go back to exclusive
ham use.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California