Old September 3rd 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Amerigo Vespucci Amerigo Vespucci is offline

Default J Pole

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
: In article YoGKg.3053$CL6.2183@trnddc06,
: Amerigo Vespucci wrote:
:
: I don't have any 300 ohm twin leed and really(at this time) don't feel
like
: doing the copper pipe thing .Is there another easy way to make one.My
: thoughts were to maybe take and attach some wires to a board say a 1x4
and
: just make it work accordingly.
:
: Sure, you can make that work. You'll need to fiddle with the lengths
: of the elements, and the attachment point of the coax to the matching
: section to get the best match. Using an MFJ or similar antenna
: analyzer will make the job easier.
:
: I built a J-pole somewhat like this by taping ordinary insulated
: hookup wire to the fiberglass shaft of a bicycle safety flag. It took
: a while to get the lengths and feedpoint position adjusted correctly,
: but once it was done I had an antenna which was 1.5:1 or better across
: the entire 2-meter band, and works very nicely when I ride "bicycle
: mobile" at a public-service event.
:
: If you aren't planning to transmit, you probably will have an easier
: job of it - your scanner will work acceptably even with a significant
: amount of mismatch at the antenna feedpoint.
:
: I'd suggest thoroughly waterproofing whatever piece of wood you use -
: treat it well with marine spar varnish or a similar outdoor-rated
: polyurethane or other varnish. This will ensure that the wood doesn't
: soak up rain moisture and change its electrical characteristics and
: de-tune the antenna.
:
: As another alternative, since you're scanning and would presumably
: prefer a wide antenna bandwidth, would be to make yourself a skeleton
: discone. A chunk of wood with holes drilled in it, and a dozen pieces
: of stiff wire, and a bit of simple soldering and you'd end up with an
: antenna which would probably receive acceptably over a very wide
: bandwidth.

The skeleton discone sounds like a neat idea.Do you have a diagram or
something for that? Oh BTW I am a ham I am just working with limited
resources at the moment. Call hre is Kilo Alpha 3 Victor India Delta . Nice
to make the aquaintance.

:
: --
: Dave Platt AE6EO
: Hosting the Jade Warrior home page: http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior
: I do _not_ wish to receive unsolicited commercial email, and I will
: boycott any company which has the gall to send me such ads!