Old September 6th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen Roy Lewallen is offline

Default Dipole with standing wave - what happens to reflected wave?

Richard Fry wrote:

However, any amount of reflected power from the termination at the far
end of a transmission line has a greater chance of damaging tx PA
components, and of stress/failure to the transmission line itself than
if the reflected power from the antenna/load was zero, regardless of the
electrical length of said transmission line.

This reality of physics is not subject to debate, don't you agree?

Suppose I have a 50 ohm antenna fed with a one wavelength, 50 ohm
transmission line. No reflected power, no damage.

Now I replace the 50 ohm one wavelength line with a 300 ohm one
wavelength line. For 100 watts delivered to the load, the forward power
on the line is 204 watts and the reverse power is 104 watts. All that
reverse power could do a lot of damage, then?

So I guess I should replace the 50 ohm load with a 300 ohm one. Then
there won't be any reflected power, and the transmitter should be ok. Right?

After all, it's physics.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL