Old October 16th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella Sal M. Onella is offline

Default Yagi Height Question

"CW" wrote in message
ups.com...
Fellows,

I've been wondering for some time now why amateur operators don't build
their Yagi antenna's
so they can be raised and lowered about 10ft in addition to being
rotated.
It seems to me that raising and lowering the height of a Yagi affects
the take-off angle by at least several degrees, meaning that the signal
delivery (target area) would be moved by at least many hundreds of
miles.

I don't know if this helps, but advice for TV DX says that you get
progressively improved performance until the yagi's
height-above-average-terrain (HAAT) is equal to about ten wavelengths.
(Above that HAAT, the signal strength varies up and down with further
increases in the elevation )

I never tested the idea, but if correct and it also holds for HF, there
won't ever be anybody _lowering_ a HF yagi. We would want the most height.
At the 2006 Field Day, one team had multi-band beam at 85 feet and everybody
loved it.

Before anybody tells me there is a difference between a yagi and a beam, let
me thank you in advance. I cannot formulate a sensible distinction
between them and I welcome the knowledge. I presume the terms are related
but not interchangeable.

73