Old October 21st 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Interference with TV and Intercom

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
m...

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
10-4, you are a jerk of the first magnitude and second order. Most of us
got our ticket to be on HF long before we figured out the subtleties and
nuances of RFI.

OP, you've got two problems. One is classic TVI and the other one is

direct
rectification. Let's take care of the second one first.

Yes, your house intercom wiring is acting like a big antenna. Somewhere

in
the wiring or at the intercom there is a rectifying junction (can be as
simple as the input transistor at the intercom or as subtle as a
partially
corroded connection somewhere else. Coupl'a questions. Do you still get
the intercom interference when you are running directly into a dummy
load?
Do you still get the interference when you load directly into a simple
dipole hung at some distance from the house on a temporary test?

Just FYI, the Feds have stated in no uncertain terms that
homeowner/municipal codes (CC&Rs, ordinances, building codes, etc.)
canNOT
prohibit the reasonable erection of amateur radio antennas. "Reasonable"
has not yet been tested in the courts as to whether a hundred foot tower
with a ten element 80 meter beam with an aircraft prop motor for a rotor

is
reasonable, or whether a 2-meter dipole made out of #40 wire painted to
match the house is reasonable. Put your damned antenna outside and let

the
chips fall where they may. THe Feds trump any lesser governmental
restriction (state, county, city, or homeowner's group).

As to the TV part, is it on all channels, or just selected channels?

Thanks for the info!

It seems the QRM is on most if not all channels. My wife tells me my voice
(garbled, since SSB) comes through the audio. I have not tried a dummy
load
or outside antenna.

One thing I did remember is that the FM antenna for the intercom is in the
attic, where my dipole is located. That may explain the intercom QRM,
though
it could also be the wiring.

Will test and report back.

Just a note that the Feds do NOT preempt CCRs and HOAs. That is considered
a private contract that you entered into of your own free will. However
bills have been introduced to make it apply to CCRs and HOAs but they have
not made it through (yet).

Dee, N8UZE