Old October 19th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Interference with TV and Intercom

When transmitting on 20 meters my rig is causing interference to our home
intercom (in the wall hard-wired unit) and TV (cable). I've checked the
ground, the rig is new (FT-897), as is the antenna (G5RV-Jr). Antenna is
located in attic due to neighborhood restrictions.

I'm guessing the the intercom wires in the walls are acting as a big
antenna, but where would I start putting chokes on? Or would a filter at
transmitter (low/high pass?) be where to start?

Old October 19th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

When transmitting on 20 meters my rig is causing interference to our home
intercom (in the wall hard-wired unit) and TV (cable). I've checked the
ground, the rig is new (FT-897), as is the antenna (G5RV-Jr). Antenna is
located in attic due to neighborhood restrictions.

I'm guessing the the intercom wires in the walls are acting as a big
antenna, but where would I start putting chokes on? Or would a filter at
transmitter (low/high pass?) be where to start?

Seeing as how you have a license to be on HF, you should be able to figure
that out. Im quite sure that question could be answered by going through
your General theory book......

If you need to ask that question, you have no business on HF

Old October 19th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Hi SC

10-4 Good Buddy wrote:
When transmitting on 20 meters my rig is causing interference to our home
intercom (in the wall hard-wired unit) and TV (cable). I've checked the
ground, the rig is new (FT-897), as is the antenna (G5RV-Jr). Antenna is
located in attic due to neighborhood restrictions.

I'm guessing the the intercom wires in the walls are acting as a big
antenna, but where would I start putting chokes on? Or would a filter at
transmitter (low/high pass?) be where to start?

Seeing as how you have a license to be on HF, you should be able to figure
that out. Im quite sure that question could be answered by going through
your General theory book......

If you need to ask that question, you have no business on HF

hi Sc when are you going to stop trying to kill the ars by running
everybody off?

Old October 19th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

10-4, you are a jerk of the first magnitude and second order. Most of us
got our ticket to be on HF long before we figured out the subtleties and
nuances of RFI.

OP, you've got two problems. One is classic TVI and the other one is direct
rectification. Let's take care of the second one first.

Yes, your house intercom wiring is acting like a big antenna. Somewhere in
the wiring or at the intercom there is a rectifying junction (can be as
simple as the input transistor at the intercom or as subtle as a partially
corroded connection somewhere else. Coupl'a questions. Do you still get
the intercom interference when you are running directly into a dummy load?
Do you still get the interference when you load directly into a simple
dipole hung at some distance from the house on a temporary test?

Just FYI, the Feds have stated in no uncertain terms that
homeowner/municipal codes (CC&Rs, ordinances, building codes, etc.) canNOT
prohibit the reasonable erection of amateur radio antennas. "Reasonable"
has not yet been tested in the courts as to whether a hundred foot tower
with a ten element 80 meter beam with an aircraft prop motor for a rotor is
reasonable, or whether a 2-meter dipole made out of #40 wire painted to
match the house is reasonable. Put your damned antenna outside and let the
chips fall where they may. THe Feds trump any lesser governmental
restriction (state, county, city, or homeowner's group).

As to the TV part, is it on all channels, or just selected channels?

Jim

Old October 19th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
[...]

The Feds do trump state, county, and city ordinances though it can be a long
battle to get it done. However, they have also stated that in the case of
CC&Rs, PRB-1 does not apply as that is part of the contract that you entered
when you bought the property. There are bills being introduced to change
that but they have not yet been passed into law.

Dee, N8UZE

Old October 20th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

[...]

Thanks for the info!

It seems the QRM is on most if not all channels. My wife tells me my voice
(garbled, since SSB) comes through the audio. I have not tried a dummy load
or outside antenna.

One thing I did remember is that the FM antenna for the intercom is in the
attic, where my dipole is located. That may explain the intercom QRM, though
it could also be the wiring.

Will test and report back.

Old October 21st 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Just a note that the Feds do NOT preempt CCRs and HOAs. That is considered
a private contract that you entered into of your own free will. However
bills have been introduced to make it apply to CCRs and HOAs but they have
not made it through (yet).

Dee, N8UZE