Old October 25th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mike Mike is offline

Default newbie looking for purchasing advice on new radio

In article ,
(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:

muncybob wrote:
Actually I'm looking to pick up a replacement shortwave radio for my
dad...he likes to listen to BBC broadcasts but his old radio has died.
What am I looking for in a new radio for the occassional user?? Any
model suggestions out there?? Looking to stay under $150...thanks!

I don't know where you are but since you said $150 I assume you
are in the U.S. and not another place that uses dollars. :-)

Before you go out and buy him a radio, check out the availabilty of
BBC news from other sources. If you are in the U.S. many PBS stations
rebroadcast BBC news (your tax dollars at work) and they are easily
available over the Internet.

Since the BBC no longer targets shortwave broadcasts to North America,
(they don't want to compete with PBS who pays them), it may be a
better choice.

They are also on satellite 24/7 and since a cheap setup (Ku band dish,
receiver
and instalation) is under $300 here, it may be a better investment being
a lot cheaper in many places.

Don't forget that all BBC radio channels can be heard on the net, right
on your computer. It's free and you don't need any exotic equipment to
do it.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

Mike