Old October 25th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default newbie looking for purchasing advice on new radio

Actually I'm looking to pick up a replacement shortwave radio for my
dad...he likes to listen to BBC broadcasts but his old radio has died.
What am I looking for in a new radio for the occassional user?? Any
model suggestions out there?? Looking to stay under $150...thanks!

Old October 25th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

muncybob wrote:
Actually I'm looking to pick up a replacement shortwave radio for my
dad...he likes to listen to BBC broadcasts but his old radio has died.
What am I looking for in a new radio for the occassional user?? Any
model suggestions out there?? Looking to stay under $150...thanks!

I recommend the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. You'll find information about it
he

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/portable/0360.html

Old October 25th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

muncybob wrote:
Actually I'm looking to pick up a replacement shortwave radio for my
dad...he likes to listen to BBC broadcasts but his old radio has died.
What am I looking for in a new radio for the occassional user?? Any
model suggestions out there?? Looking to stay under $150...thanks!

I don't know where you are but since you said $150 I assume you
are in the U.S. and not another place that uses dollars. :-)

Before you go out and buy him a radio, check out the availabilty of
BBC news from other sources. If you are in the U.S. many PBS stations
rebroadcast BBC news (your tax dollars at work) and they are easily
available over the Internet.

Since the BBC no longer targets shortwave broadcasts to North America,
(they don't want to compete with PBS who pays them), it may be a
better choice.

They are also on satellite 24/7 and since a cheap setup (Ku band dish, receiver
and instalation) is under $300 here, it may be a better investment being
a lot cheaper in many places.

If you do decide to buy a radio, there are lots to choose from. The Sony
7600 which has been made in many models for almost 30 years is a good
choice. You may be able to find a radio cheap or free on freecycle or
some of the other lists. The latest one sells for about $150 if you
shop around.

Note that a "modern" receiver may be too difficult for him to operate.
Some people are confused with lots of buttons, menus and settings, some
take to them.

The BBC is not a difficult station to receive when propigation is with you
and I would look for a radio with good sound and less features. Grundig
made a whole line of them from the 1950s until around 2000, but since
they were targeted at the European market, it may be difficult to find them
if you are out of Europe.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old October 25th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
muncybob wrote:
[...]

I guess I should have stated that yes the radio will be used in
USA(Pennsylvania). I'll look for the models suggested...he really likes
to "tinker" with the radio so the other sources won't fit the bill.
Also, he has bad arthritis and small controls on a radio will be
difficult for him to manage. Thanks again!

Old October 25th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

muncybob wrote:
I guess I should have stated that yes the radio will be used in
USA(Pennsylvania). I'll look for the models suggested...he really likes
to "tinker" with the radio so the other sources won't fit the bill.
Also, he has bad arthritis and small controls on a radio will be
difficult for him to manage. Thanks again!

Go to www.QRZ.com and go to the name lookup. Put in your zip code and
see if you recognize any of the names, or if not see any near by.
This will give you the names and adress of Ham radio operators near you.
If you contact a few, you will find one who can help you.

They may be able to help you find a receiver or get your father's one
repaired.

Old October 25th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Pleaseeee release meee,,,, let me goooooo,,,, lets me go readdddddd some
news sites that I knowwwww,,,,,,,
cuhulin,HUH,What?