Old October 27th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
jawod jawod is offline

Default Am transmitter - vlsi project

K7ITM wrote:
hananl wrote:

Hi,
I need to design an AM transmitter as a vlsi project (it needs to be
located on smart dust later on).
Does anyone have any good suggestions were to start from? I am familiar
with vlsi, but don't really know how to implement such a big idea, into
a vlsi simulation and circuit design.
Looking on trasmitter's schemes didn't help, 'cause that's all
resistors, amplifiers and capacitors. How do I translate it into vlsi
design?
Be very glad to any guidance...
Thanks.

Why is this so difficult? Just consider what an AM signal is. Please
note that Motorola and I'm sure others have made analog AM transmitter
chips beginning a long time ago; they are not "VLSI" by any means. If
you'd like to do it more digitally, have a look at the offerings from
folk like Analog Devices. Look at their line of TxDACs. Inside some
of those chips, you'll find everything you need to make an AM
transmitter, given a stream of words representing the modulation you
want to apply, and then some.

Is "VLSI" compatible with "smart dust"? Is the power dissipation of a
universal all-digital solution compatible with "smart dust"?

You might do well to first list some of the key requirements: output
power, size, carrier frequency, modulation bandwidth...

Cheers,
Tom

Apologies for asking...
Please explain vlsi and smart dust to a newbie.

Thanks for taking the time.

John
AB8O