Old October 26th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Am transmitter - vlsi project

Hi,
I need to design an AM transmitter as a vlsi project (it needs to be
located on smart dust later on).
Does anyone have any good suggestions were to start from? I am familiar
with vlsi, but don't really know how to implement such a big idea, into
a vlsi simulation and circuit design.
Looking on trasmitter's schemes didn't help, 'cause that's all
resistors, amplifiers and capacitors. How do I translate it into vlsi
design?
Be very glad to any guidance...
Thanks.

Old October 26th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

hananl wrote:
Hi,
I need to design an AM transmitter as a vlsi project (it needs to be
located on smart dust later on).
Does anyone have any good suggestions were to start from? I am familiar
with vlsi, but don't really know how to implement such a big idea, into
a vlsi simulation and circuit design.
Looking on trasmitter's schemes didn't help, 'cause that's all
resistors, amplifiers and capacitors. How do I translate it into vlsi
design?
Be very glad to any guidance...
Thanks.

Why is this so difficult? Just consider what an AM signal is. Please
note that Motorola and I'm sure others have made analog AM transmitter
chips beginning a long time ago; they are not "VLSI" by any means. If
you'd like to do it more digitally, have a look at the offerings from
folk like Analog Devices. Look at their line of TxDACs. Inside some
of those chips, you'll find everything you need to make an AM
transmitter, given a stream of words representing the modulation you
want to apply, and then some.

Is "VLSI" compatible with "smart dust"? Is the power dissipation of a
universal all-digital solution compatible with "smart dust"?

You might do well to first list some of the key requirements: output
power, size, carrier frequency, modulation bandwidth...

Cheers,
Tom

Old October 27th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

K7ITM wrote:
hananl wrote:

[...]

Apologies for asking...
Please explain vlsi and smart dust to a newbie.

Thanks for taking the time.

John
AB8O
Old October 27th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

hananl wrote:

Hi,
I need to design an AM transmitter as a vlsi project (it needs to be
located on smart dust later on).
Does anyone have any good suggestions were to start from? I am familiar
with vlsi, but don't really know how to implement such a big idea, into
a vlsi simulation and circuit design.
Looking on trasmitter's schemes didn't help, 'cause that's all
resistors, amplifiers and capacitors. How do I translate it into vlsi
design?
Be very glad to any guidance...
Thanks.

Please look up "cross posting" on Wikipedia, and note what they have to
say about "multiple posting".

Then if you feel the need to cross post (which would have been
appropriate here), do so.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

Old October 27th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"jawod" wrote in message ...
Please explain vlsi and smart dust to a newbie.

Think "nanites" from Star Trek: The Borg Generation.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_dust

It's a popular research topic these days, but as far as I'm aware all the
commercial applications are still nowhere near the "grain of rice" size that
the proponents would like to achieve -- power sources become a real problem at
that size, even if you only do need to communicate with the next node that's
only, say, 10' away.

Oh... VLSI is "very large scale integration." It just indicates an IC that
has "[mumble]-many million transistor," where the actual number is subjective.
A 32 bit CPU is VLSI, a 74LS00 ain't.

---Joel