Old November 2nd 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
me me is offline

Default PRO-92 PC interface cable

I just recently acquired a PRO-92 scanner and anxiously wanted to begin
uploading channels.

I downloaded the program Win92

I read on starrsoft.com
http://www.starrsoft.com/software/Wi...es/cables.html

that the cable to purchase was RS's 20-289. I drove there with my scanner
and laptop. Oh no, this is a serial cable and my new HP laptop doesn't have
a serial connection. My next bright idea was to try a USB to serial adaptor
with RS's 20-289. No good, the laptop needed drivers for the adaptor and
the adaptor did not come with software.

Next I saw sitting on the shelf was RS's 20-047 kit which included the
drivers CD and USB cable. I loaded the necessary drivers and hooked up the
cable and scanner and NOTHING. I kept getting errors, something to the
effect that Win92 couldn't open the port. Another message said there was a
time out error in waiting for some code.

Does Radio Shack have anything that will work on the new computers and a
PRO-92 scanner? I'd rather buy something locally (Chicago) off the shelf
rather than wait a week or so for an Internet order. If that's the way to
go then I have no other choice.

Thanks for any feedback.