Old November 2nd 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
me me is offline

Default PRO-92 PC interface cable

I just recently acquired a PRO-92 scanner and anxiously wanted to begin
uploading channels.

I downloaded the program Win92

I read on starrsoft.com
http://www.starrsoft.com/software/Wi...es/cables.html

that the cable to purchase was RS's 20-289. I drove there with my scanner
and laptop. Oh no, this is a serial cable and my new HP laptop doesn't have
a serial connection. My next bright idea was to try a USB to serial adaptor
with RS's 20-289. No good, the laptop needed drivers for the adaptor and
the adaptor did not come with software.

Next I saw sitting on the shelf was RS's 20-047 kit which included the
drivers CD and USB cable. I loaded the necessary drivers and hooked up the
cable and scanner and NOTHING. I kept getting errors, something to the
effect that Win92 couldn't open the port. Another message said there was a
time out error in waiting for some code.

Does Radio Shack have anything that will work on the new computers and a
PRO-92 scanner? I'd rather buy something locally (Chicago) off the shelf
rather than wait a week or so for an Internet order. If that's the way to
go then I have no other choice.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old November 3rd 06, 01:00 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

Radio Shack has a cable with a USB connector on one end and the
appropriate plug for a PRO-92, 95, 97, or 96 one the other end.
Offhand, I don't remember the catalog number, but I am sure you can find
it on the RS website. The same cable is also available from the mfr. of
the PRO-92, at http://www.greamerica.com/scanner.html. Many people
have used the 20-289 cable with Win92 and a USB/Serial adapter,
starrsoft.com has a page on which adapters work best and how to do it.

The 20-047 cable definitely is not for the PRO-92. It is for older
scanners.

Old November 3rd 06, 01:51 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

"wbertram" wrote in message
Radio Shack has a cable with a USB connector on one end and the
appropriate plug for a PRO-92, 95, 97, or 96 one the other end.
Offhand, I don't remember the catalog number, but I am sure you can find
it on the RS website. The same cable is also available from the mfr. of
the PRO-92, at http://www.greamerica.com/scanner.html. Many people
have used the 20-289 cable with Win92 and a USB/Serial adapter,
starrsoft.com has a page on which adapters work best and how to do it.

The 20-047 cable definitely is not for the PRO-92. It is for older
scanners.

Wrong - the 20-047 is the USB cable for newer scanners, see
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2177609&cp

20-048 is for older scanners and is discontinued.

Old November 3rd 06, 02:59 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

Frank346 wrote:
"wbertram" wrote in message
Radio Shack has a cable with a USB connector on one end and the
appropriate plug for a PRO-92, 95, 97, or 96 one the other end.
Offhand, I don't remember the catalog number, but I am sure you can find
it on the RS website. The same cable is also available from the mfr. of
the PRO-92, at http://www.greamerica.com/scanner.html. Many people
have used the 20-289 cable with Win92 and a USB/Serial adapter,
starrsoft.com has a page on which adapters work best and how to do it.

The 20-047 cable definitely is not for the PRO-92. It is for older
scanners.

Wrong - the 20-047 is the USB cable for newer scanners, see
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2177609&cp

20-048 is for older scanners and is discontinued.

Sorry, my error! Yes, the 20-047 is the correct USB cable for the
PRO-92, and it should work.
Old November 4th 06, 11:52 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:02:29 GMT, "me" wrote:

[...]

The 20-289 cable and the Radio Shack or Keyspan USB adapter. The
drivers are available for both - in the package and on the respective
web sites.

The 20-047 cable won't work - the scanner end voltage levels aren't
compatible with the Pro-92.

Old November 5th 06, 02:10 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

"Al Klein" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:02:29 GMT, "me" wrote:

The 20-289 cable and the Radio Shack or Keyspan USB adapter. The
drivers are available for both - in the package and on the respective
web sites.

The 20-047 cable won't work - the scanner end voltage levels aren't
compatible with the Pro-92.

From the Radio Shack website for the 20-047 cable:

These scanners are compatible and always require the 3" cable adapter:
20-196, 20-427, 20-428, 20-466, 20-496, 20-515, 20-522, 20-523, 20-524B,
20-525, 20-526, 20-527, and most new RadioShack models.
a.. Most scanners use the 3" stereo to mono adapter (included)

PRO-92 = 20-522 so it is supported. And 20-196 = PRO-2067, the mobile
version of the PRO-92, also supported.

Old November 5th 06, 07:44 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 02:10:05 GMT, "Frank346"
spake thusly:

"Al Klein" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:02:29 GMT, "me" wrote:

The 20-289 cable and the Radio Shack or Keyspan USB adapter. The
drivers are available for both - in the package and on the respective
web sites.

The 20-047 cable won't work - the scanner end voltage levels aren't
compatible with the Pro-92.

From the Radio Shack website for the 20-047 cable:

These scanners are compatible and always require the 3" cable adapter:
20-196, 20-427, 20-428, 20-466, 20-496, 20-515, 20-522, 20-523, 20-524B,
20-525, 20-526, 20-527, and most new RadioShack models.
a.. Most scanners use the 3" stereo to mono adapter (included)

That's odd, because I have a 20-527 [Pro-97] and it WILL NOT work with
the 3" stereo-to-mono adapter. The stereo plug must be plugged
directly into the scanner. Might be a firmware change. Can't speak for
other scanners.
--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.