Old November 5th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Dave is offline

Default Am I "silly" thinking this.....

"Paladin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Good Morning Fellow Antenna "wizards"!
I always seem to get these "brain-storms" late at night. I have a
706 mobile with a small auto-tuner. I use a hustler 80m coil with a cap
hat. I am mainly interested in getting 80m as best as possible....right
now. Now,I know that hams stuck in condo's or apartments with limited
space can take "two hamsticks" OR even two "Hustler" set ups and get a
special bracket an mount the whole thing like a "DIPOLE"!!! Some even
use these "dipole set-ups" as drive elements on a YAGI!
Now "WHY" wouldn't that type of set up WORK on the rear of a
car ??? Instead of using the car as the"ther half" of the
antenna.....you would have an "equal,balanced-shortened dipole" on a
special mount. Naturally,you would have to fix it so that you could
feed it in the center of the antenna. Would this "thing" work as a
mobile antenna??

73's, Paladin

p.s.-I probabally should fire up the ENZEC to see what
"it" would say about it. I'm on a laptop now. I'd have
to go downstairs to do the ENZEC thing.

it may 'work' but how are you going to mount it? it would be too wide to
mount cross wise, and if you mounted it on the rear bumper then half the
antenna would stick the guy behind you in the eye. also a low dipole like
that is likely to be just as lossy as the vertical fed against the car since
it would still couple very tightly to the car and road.