Old November 5th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Am I "silly" thinking this.....

Good Morning Fellow Antenna "wizards"!
I always seem to get these "brain-storms" late at night. I have a
706 mobile with a small auto-tuner. I use a hustler 80m coil with a cap
hat. I am mainly interested in getting 80m as best as possible....right
now. Now,I know that hams stuck in condo's or apartments with limited
space can take "two hamsticks" OR even two "Hustler" set ups and get a
special bracket an mount the whole thing like a "DIPOLE"!!! Some even
use these "dipole set-ups" as drive elements on a YAGI!
Now "WHY" wouldn't that type of set up WORK on the rear of a
car ??? Instead of using the car as the"ther half" of the
antenna.....you would have an "equal,balanced-shortened dipole" on a
special mount. Naturally,you would have to fix it so that you could
feed it in the center of the antenna. Would this "thing" work as a
mobile antenna??

73's, Paladin

p.s.-I probabally should fire up the ENZEC to see what
"it" would say about it. I'm on a laptop now. I'd have
to go downstairs to do the ENZEC thing.

Old November 5th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Paladin wrote:
Now "WHY" wouldn't that type of set up WORK on the rear of a
car ??? Instead of using the car as the"ther half" of the
antenna.....you would have an "equal,balanced-shortened dipole" on a
special mount. Naturally,you would have to fix it so that you could
feed it in the center of the antenna. Would this "thing" work as a
mobile antenna??

Sure it would work. How well depends upon the car. If you do model it,
you would need to include the car as part of the antenna.

Obviously a car made from plastic (there were two models, one made in France,
one made in Israel, both in the 1970's) or fiberglass would be a better
choice.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old November 5th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Paladin" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

it may 'work' but how are you going to mount it? it would be too wide to
mount cross wise, and if you mounted it on the rear bumper then half the
antenna would stick the guy behind you in the eye. also a low dipole like
that is likely to be just as lossy as the vertical fed against the car since
it would still couple very tightly to the car and road.

Old November 5th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Paladin wrote:
Now "WHY" wouldn't that type of set up WORK on the rear of a
car ??? Instead of using the car as the"ther half" of the
antenna.....you would have an "equal,balanced-shortened dipole" on a
special mount. Naturally,you would have to fix it so that you could
feed it in the center of the antenna. Would this "thing" work as a
mobile antenna??

Ground-mounted loaded verticals can work very well.
Very low loaded dipoles don't.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old November 5th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

.... I use a hustler 80m coil with a cap
hat. I am mainly interested in getting 80m as best as possible....right
now. Now,I know that hams stuck in condo's or apartments with limited
space can take "two hamsticks" OR even two "Hustler" set ups and get a
special bracket an mount the whole thing like a "DIPOLE"!!! Some even
use these "dipole set-ups" as drive elements on a YAGI!
Now "WHY" wouldn't that type of set up WORK on the rear of a car ???....

I DID just that except I mounted the dipole pointed fore-and-aft atop
a two-foot high mast fastened to the front "canoe carrier" (or ladder
carrier) atop the "topper" on my F-150 pickup truck.

As an NVIS antenna, it worked like a charm -- I live in Kansas and
that antenna "covered" Kansas and the 4-5 surrounding states on 80
and (by changing the hamsticks) on 40!

I originally worried that the forward-pointing antenna tip might
suffer from severe whiplash, but, at 60+ mph, it merely described
maybe-foot-wide circles in the airstream.

Unfortunately, while it was just low enough to clear my garage door,
one day the forward tip "speared" the garage-door pulldown loop and
ripped the antenna, mast, and about half of the canoe carrier off
the truck before I could stop!

But it was a GOOD mobile antenna, and I may erect it again!

--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge