Old November 5th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] mcalhoun@ksu.edu is offline

Default Am I "silly" thinking this.....

.... I use a hustler 80m coil with a cap
hat. I am mainly interested in getting 80m as best as possible....right
now. Now,I know that hams stuck in condo's or apartments with limited
space can take "two hamsticks" OR even two "Hustler" set ups and get a
special bracket an mount the whole thing like a "DIPOLE"!!! Some even
use these "dipole set-ups" as drive elements on a YAGI!
Now "WHY" wouldn't that type of set up WORK on the rear of a car ???....

I DID just that except I mounted the dipole pointed fore-and-aft atop
a two-foot high mast fastened to the front "canoe carrier" (or ladder
carrier) atop the "topper" on my F-150 pickup truck.

As an NVIS antenna, it worked like a charm -- I live in Kansas and
that antenna "covered" Kansas and the 4-5 surrounding states on 80
and (by changing the hamsticks) on 40!

I originally worried that the forward-pointing antenna tip might
suffer from severe whiplash, but, at 60+ mph, it merely described
maybe-foot-wide circles in the airstream.

Unfortunately, while it was just low enough to clear my garage door,
one day the forward tip "speared" the garage-door pulldown loop and
ripped the antenna, mast, and about half of the canoe carrier off
the truck before I could stop!

But it was a GOOD mobile antenna, and I may erect it again!

--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge