Old November 14th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Slow Code Slow Code is offline

Default Common courtesy

X-rated Vermonter wrote in
:

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 00:34:05 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

Code is just one part of it. Here's my four step plan that will keep
ham radio from becoming like CB:

Step 1: No more automatic renewals. Individuals must retest and
pass all elements required for their license class.

Step 2: The passing score for written exams needs to be raised to 85%.

Step 3: Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for
Extra.

Step 4: Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

+++++++++
Your plan will eliminate QRM. There will be nobody left with a
license.

I know you're right. Requiring good operators will kill the service.

Hams just want to be appliance operators these days and they don't want
license exams that will interfere with them getting to those appliances
even though it means being less skilled. I don't see anyone modernizing
like everyone says is happening. They just get their licenses and grab a
microphone. What percentage of hams have a computer connected to a
radio? Probably less than 30%. Hams don't want to modernize. Guess we
just have live with inferior operators on the bands from here on out.
Then again, maybe hams shouldn't be required to be knowledgable or have
skills. Requiring skills and knowledge is too old skool. Everything must
be outcome based these days, even licensing. It ain't like we have to
help out in emergencies or anything. It's Quantity, not quality. We need
more hams even if they aren't skilled.

SC