Old November 21st 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
BAP BAP is offline

Default Drake R4-C antenna connector question

w9gb wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Richard Knoppow wrote:
Surprizingly, RCA conectors are pretty good at RF, in
fact, that is what they were originally designed for, they
just are not mechanically strong.

RCA connectors were designed to be cheap. Yes, they were intended for
internal connections (both RF and audio) in radio/phonograph consoles in
the thirties, but that's not to say they are constant impedance in any
way.

If you see an RCA connector on an antenna input, you can _probably_ assume
it wants to see a high-impedance longwire antenna. You may get better
results from a 50 ohm source with some matching. Then again, maybe not.
--scott

Scott -

Where is the empirical or engineering data to support this conclusion?

Collins did do the frequency sweeps -- and it out performed many of the
alternatives at that time --
if it didn't Art Collins would have never used the connector (BNC was
available at the time).

w9gb

Say, didn't the Heathkit "lunchbox" AM transceivers use RCA phono
connectors as an antenna conection? Those lunchboxes operated into low
impedance 50 ohm loads all the way up to 148 mcs.

K9FH

--
Important note: When replying to my e-mail please delete the words,
"nospam" and ".gov" from my e-mail address.