Old November 28th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default Serial interface

"LeIand C. Scot" wrote in message
. ..

"Jimmie D" wrote in message
.. .
If push comes to shove I can still use the ICOM. 100 watts PEP is only 25
RMS, I doubt if anyone will get their panties in to tight of a knot about
that.

If you're thinking of using the 706 mobile rig you may be a bit
disappointed in the AM selectivity. I think they use the narrow FM filter
in double duty in the AM section. The AM filter really needs to be around
6 KHz for a 10 KHz channel spacing base on the monitoring I've done when I
had the 706MKIIG in my old van. The new DSP based mobile rig should be
much better in that area since you can select what filter width to use at
the touch of a dial.

As far as the serial interface goes Icom doesn't use standard voltage
levels, I think they use a TTL based serial protocol, so you have to use
some kind of level translator. Icom sells the necessary adapter.

--
Regards,
Leland C. Scott

--
Regards,
Leland C. Scott

No problem I already have the ICOM set up for computer control. I can even
run the audio through the sound board so I can control it too.Funny thing,
the audio routines were written back when the fastest processor you could
get was about 400Mhz and it didnt work so good. Now it works great at 3.2Ghz