Old November 26th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Serial interface

I am looking for a way to interface with the serial interface of my PLL
circuit so I can control a CB via a PC. OK before anyone starts
complaining that I intend to use this out of band, I dont. I already
have a ICOM radio that would let me do this at 100 watts if I so
desired. I just want a legal CB that I can control via a computer
interface. Basically I am looking for hardware schematics software and
software sourcecode. I intentionally did not mention any particular
radio or PLL because I am willing to purchase whatever I can find to
match whatever interface I can find.

Old November 27th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Nice idea except for one problem. Modification to the radio having to do
with the frequency generation section violates the type acceptance of the
radio so it becomes non legal for use on 11m. The FCC has just about every
base covered in this area. They want radios the public can buy and want to
actively discourage any end user modifications to them.

The idea itself sounds simple enough. Replacing the selector switch contacts
with a number of reed relays, or optical couplers, driven by a PIC micro
would work. PIC micros also have built in serial ports as well. The worst
part is writing the software if you don't have any experience doing hardware
interfacing.

--
Regards,
Leland C. Scott

ups.com...

Old November 27th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"LeIand C. Scot" wrote in message
news
Nice idea except for one problem. Modification to the radio having to do
with the frequency generation section violates the type acceptance of the
radio so it becomes non legal for use on 11m. The FCC has just about every
base covered in this area. They want radios the public can buy and want to
actively discourage any end user modifications to them.

The idea itself sounds simple enough. Replacing the selector switch
contacts with a number of reed relays, or optical couplers, driven by a
PIC micro would work. PIC micros also have built in serial ports as well.
The worst part is writing the software if you don't have any experience
doing hardware interfacing.

--
Regards,
Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking for a way to interface with the serial interface of my PLL
circuit so I can control a CB via a PC. OK before anyone starts
complaining that I intend to use this out of band, I dont. I already
have a ICOM radio that would let me do this at 100 watts if I so
desired. I just want a legal CB that I can control via a computer
interface. Basically I am looking for hardware schematics software and
software sourcecode. I intentionally did not mention any particular
radio or PLL because I am willing to purchase whatever I can find to
match whatever interface I can find.

Some of the PLL circuits use a serial interface for frequency data. I am
begining to think this is not practical or at tleast it would take too long
to figure out. I was hoping someone had already done that. Time is important
for this project. If push comes to shove I can still use the ICOM. 100 watts
PEP is only 25 RMS, I doubt if anyone will get their panties in to tight of
a knot about that.

Old November 28th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

"Jimmie D" wrote in message
.. .
If push comes to shove I can still use the ICOM. 100 watts PEP is only 25
RMS, I doubt if anyone will get their panties in to tight of a knot about
that.

If you're thinking of using the 706 mobile rig you may be a bit disappointed
in the AM selectivity. I think they use the narrow FM filter in double duty
in the AM section. The AM filter really needs to be around 6 KHz for a 10
KHz channel spacing base on the monitoring I've done when I had the 706MKIIG
in my old van. The new DSP based mobile rig should be much better in that
area since you can select what filter width to use at the touch of a dial.

As far as the serial interface goes Icom doesn't use standard voltage
levels, I think they use a TTL based serial protocol, so you have to use
some kind of level translator. Icom sells the necessary adapter.

--
Regards,
Leland C. Scott

--
Regards,
Leland C. Scott

Old November 28th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"LeIand C. Scot" wrote in message
. ..

"Jimmie D" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No problem I already have the ICOM set up for computer control. I can even
run the audio through the sound board so I can control it too.Funny thing,
the audio routines were written back when the fastest processor you could
get was about 400Mhz and it didnt work so good. Now it works great at 3.2Ghz