Old December 18th 06, 09:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
The Poet The Poet is offline

Default No Code Arrives!

Carter-k8vt wrote:
Telamon wrote:

Hams used to build at least some of their equipment.

...and many still do. Looked at any of the construction articles in QST
lately? (like for the last 15 or 20 years)

I think it should be a requirement that you built your own
transmitter that passes FCC specifications to transmit.

Why? And do you have *any* clue as to how complex modern transceivers
are? The test equipment to verify that it "passes FCC specifications to
transmit"? (Priced any spectrum analyzers lately?) Furthermore, why
build just the transmitter? Why wouldn't you require them to build their
receiver too?

Most Hams can't fix their own equipment

You say "Most hams can't fix their own equipment". So what is your
point? Most modern equipment uses surface mount technology, which
requires 20 year old eyes and special equipment to solder/de-solder. How
many people can fix their own TVs/DVDs/VCRs? For that matter, can you
fix your own modern car? Why not? You have the privelege of having a
driver's license. Heck, to follow -your- logic, you should -build- your
own car.

and they don't understand how their antennas systems work

Again, so what? Some hams are indeed engineers but plenty are mail
delivery persons or plumbers or any number of non-engineering
occupations that enjoy radio as a hobby. I happen to believe that is one
of the strengths of ham radio.

so the country can't depend on them when the chips are down.

Well, there seemed to be a lot of good press and good buzz about the ham
radio performance during Katrina. Maybe you should do just a little
research before you tar -everyone- with the same brush.

Sorry, but you come across like a ham wannabee that couldn't cut the
mustard...(and just use a bag full of excuses as to why you never became
a ham).

Or, due to the thoughtlessness and foolishness of your statements, maybe
you are just trolling. :-(

73,
Carter
K8VT

Well, I dunno...

I'm not a ham, I'm a pirate.
'We don't need no frikken license, capiche?'

But I do use aged ham equipment, and I do fix my own... and often have
to learn something new each time I do it.

The new surface-mount stuff, I couldn't have repaired even when I DID
have twenty-year old eyes because my hands were never that steady.

'Plug and play' would be nice, but I suppose one wouldn't learn much
that way, other than how to prepare equipment to be shipped to the
repair shop, or how to shop for replacement eqpt, should that painful
necessity arise...

But preferring to operate in AM mode with plate modulation, more modern
equipment just can't be had at a reasonable price, so its Johnson for
me, along with its periodic failures and necessary self-service.

For the reason that the amateur service generates necessary equipment
of direct benefit to pirate broadcasters, I would want to see the
amateur service continue to survive and even flourish... but for those
of us who prefer AM to sideband, us musical afficionados, well, there
hasn't been much efficient ham equipment manufactured suitable for that
purpose in 30-40 years.

Just my own inane ramblings, as I don't really have a dog in this hunt
at the present.

'Fifteen men on the dead man's chest
Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!'

The Poet aka John Poet aka domestic terrorist aka patriot