Old December 26th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Rick Rick is offline

Default Scientists Predict Big Solar Cycle

Right,

You will need a substantial mounting bracket, and may need to guy the
whip. The antenna I mentioned ("Texas Bugcatcher") was originally used
on my work truck for about a year before I put it on the balcony at the
apartment. Didn't have any trouble at all matching it on any band, but
the bandwidth was very narrow on 75, as you might expect.

Ha, I was probably the only person on earth in the late 80s running an
HW-101 mobile! Talk about a glutton for punishment!

Rick

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Hello Scott:

Yeah a Screwdriver Antenna will work. I haven't used one but a good
friend has one. I can't remember the manufactures name or model. But its
a larger one made and designed for the lower bands, like 40 and 80
meters. He has a ball with this antenna. Has a switch that adjusts the
antennas coil while watching the SWR on a meter.

You will have to have a significant mounting bracket tho, we used a
piece of 6061-T6 Aluminum Plate, 3/8" thick by approx 4 x 12 inches, and
bolted it to the body, and reinforced the body.

He uses a Icom 706 and talks all over with it in his Jeep. We where
Quail hunting and he talked many stations on 20 and 40 meters. I am not
sure how it will work on 10 or 11 meters. But if the sun spot cycle will
be as strong as the Scientists say it will be, then I am sure it will work.

Jay in the Mojave

Scott in Baltimore wrote:

I wonder how a screwdriver antenna would work on 27 MHz? I'm set to take
my general test on 01-07-07.
I'll need a 706 or an Alinco DX-70.