Old December 25th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Scientists Predict Big Solar Cycle

Hello All:

Here's a neat blurb on the next solar cycle that was e-mailed to me.
That I will share.

So you may want to get your amateur liscense and run up and down the
bands talking to a lot of Long Distance (DX) Stations, here in a short time.

Merry Christmas to all.

Jay in the Mojave

Scientists Predict Big Solar Cycle

Evidence is mounting: the next solar cycle is going to be a big one.
Solar cycle 24, due to peak in 2010 or 2011 "looks like its going to be
one of the most intense cycles since record-keeping began almost 400
years ago," says solar physicist David Hathaway of the Marshall Space
Flight Center. He and colleague Robert Wilson presented this conclusion
last week at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco.

Their forecast is based on historical records of geomagnetic storms.

Hathaway explains: "When a gust of solar wind hits Earth's magnetic
field, the impact causes the magnetic field to shake. If it shakes hard
enough, we call it a geomagnetic storm." In the extreme, these storms
cause power outages and make compass needles swing in the wrong
direction. Auroras are a beautiful side-effect.

Hathaway and Wilson looked at records of geomagnetic activity stretching
back almost 150 years and noticed something useful:. "The amount of
geomagnetic activity now tells us what the solar cycle is going to be
like 6 to 8 years in the future," says Hathaway. A picture is worth a
thousand words:

More, with diagrams and charts:

http://www.physorg.com/news86010302.html
Old December 25th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Let's go 10 meters!

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...ec_cycle24.htm
Old December 25th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
Let's go 10 meters!

More, with diagrams and charts:

http://www.physorg.com/news86010302.html

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...ec_cycle24.htm

Hello Scott:

Yeah I'll bet there will be a lot of guys wanting to convert there 11
meter antennas to 10 meters.

I use a Alpha Delta 80 thru 10 Meter fan type dipole. Its not the cats
meow but it works. I get to listen in on the local 40 meter rag
chew-net-qso-free 4 all.

Merry Christmas

Jay in the Mojave
Old December 26th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Scott in Baltimore wrote:
Let's go 10 meters!

More, with diagrams and charts:

http://www.physorg.com/news86010302.html

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...ec_cycle24.htm

Hello Scott:

Yeah I'll bet there will be a lot of guys wanting to convert there 11
meter antennas to 10 meters.

I use a Alpha Delta 80 thru 10 Meter fan type dipole. Its not the cats
meow but it works. I get to listen in on the local 40 meter rag
chew-net-qso-free 4 all.

Merry Christmas

Jay in the Mojave

I wonder how a screwdriver antenna would work on 27 MHz? I'm set to take my general test on 01-07-07.
I'll need a 706 or an Alinco DX-70.
Old December 26th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Screwdriver should work fine. You are talking about mobile, right?

I did use a screwdriver antenna (they weren't yet called that then,
this was 1988) on the balcony of my apartment at the time, ran a single
radial for 10, 15, and 20 meters each. Worked the world with 50W RTTY.
Didn't work all that great on the lower bands, about comparable to an
HF mobile signal. I could be heard on the nets on 40 and 75 if
stations were listening for mobiles.

Good luck on the General.

Rick

Scott in Baltimore wrote:
Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Let's go 10 meters!

Old December 26th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Hello Scott:

Yeah a Screwdriver Antenna will work. I haven't used one but a good
friend has one. I can't remember the manufactures name or model. But its
a larger one made and designed for the lower bands, like 40 and 80
meters. He has a ball with this antenna. Has a switch that adjusts the
antennas coil while watching the SWR on a meter.

You will have to have a significant mounting bracket tho, we used a
piece of 6061-T6 Aluminum Plate, 3/8" thick by approx 4 x 12 inches, and
bolted it to the body, and reinforced the body.

He uses a Icom 706 and talks all over with it in his Jeep. We where
Quail hunting and he talked many stations on 20 and 40 meters. I am not
sure how it will work on 10 or 11 meters. But if the sun spot cycle will
be as strong as the Scientists say it will be, then I am sure it will work.

Jay in the Mojave

Old December 26th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Right,

You will need a substantial mounting bracket, and may need to guy the
whip. The antenna I mentioned ("Texas Bugcatcher") was originally used
on my work truck for about a year before I put it on the balcony at the
apartment. Didn't have any trouble at all matching it on any band, but
the bandwidth was very narrow on 75, as you might expect.

Ha, I was probably the only person on earth in the late 80s running an
HW-101 mobile! Talk about a glutton for punishment!

Rick

Old December 26th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Rick wrote:
Right,

You will need a substantial mounting bracket, and may need to guy the
whip. The antenna I mentioned ("Texas Bugcatcher") was originally used
on my work truck for about a year before I put it on the balcony at the
apartment. Didn't have any trouble at all matching it on any band, but
the bandwidth was very narrow on 75, as you might expect.

I've been using a Firestik KW-7, so I've got a strong mount already.
Just confirmed my test session. Let the DX begin!